Can Eyelid Surgery Fix Bulgy Eyes? I Need a Second Opinion. (photo)

My eyes are bulgy.I have included pictures.I have met with a eye specialist that my doctor recommended me to in order to correct the pain im feeling.She told me that there is a surgeon that can lift my brow,both bottom and top, and cure the bulgyness.Please contribute any information about surgerys or methods that can help.Also, do you share her opinion?

Surgery to reduce bulgy eyes

+1

Surgical treatment of bulging eyes is best performed by an oculoplastic surgeon experienced in orbital decompression.  It is important to have thyroid testing done to make sure there are no medical issues with your thyroid that is causing the eye protrusion.

Bulby eyes

+1

Bulgy eyes may nor may not be caused by Thyroid disease.

Decompression surgery can help decrease the bulgy state. Eyelid surgery may be able to camouflage the bulginess. Eyebrow surgery cannot.

You also have droopy eyelid [ptosis] which can be addressed surgically. But dry eye postoperatively may be a risk.

If you decide to explore this further, I would recommend consultation with an ASOPRS trained Oculoplastics surgeon. You can find one close to you on the ASOPRS dot org website.

A.J. Amadi, MD
Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon

Can Eyelid Surgery Fix Bulgy Eyes? I Need a Second Opinion.

+1

NO, eyelid surgery will not reduce the bugged out eye appearance and you should should have a full medical workup as well as eye exam to identify the cause.  

Need medical attention prior to any consideration of surgery for bulging eyes

+1

Your bulging eyes or proptosis is a medical condition associated with hyperthyroidism.   You should first have an evaluation by an endocrinologist prior to considering any surgical correction

You need to see a craniofacial trained plastic surgeon

+1

Your condition as stated by other surgeons is not just a simple ptosis .You will need orbital decompression and that involves removing some fat, advancing your lateral orbital wall and removing some medial ethmoid bone. This is a complex procedure and your insurance will cover the fees.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Can Eyelid Surgery Fix Bulgy Eyes?

+1

It looks as though not only you have proptosis but also significant eyelids ptosis that makes you raise your brows in order to keep your eyes open. You will need to have ptosis surgery as well as thyroid work up. 

Mohsen Tavoussi, MD, DO
Huntington Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Bulging eyes

+1

Proptosis or exophthalmos is a condition where your eyes are set further forward than average.  It can be due to your genetics (common in African-Americans due to shallower eye sockets) or due to a medical problem.  An oculoplastic surgeon can evaluate you for this and recommend treatment. 

Matheson A. Harris, MD
Salt Lake City Oculoplastic Surgeon

Treatment for Proptosis

+1

What you have is proptosis, a condition that is usuually caused by a medical disease. I would encourage you to seek a medical evaluation to determine what is causing this condition, have that corrected first and then approach it from a surgical standpoint for correction, good luck

Jonathan Weiler, MD
Baton Rouge Plastic Surgeon

Consult an oculoplastic surgeon who performs orbital decompressions.

+1

Ahenry

Your eyes are prominent.   This is not always a sign of thyroid eye disease.  There are individuals with shallow orbits and the eye prominence has nothing to do with thyroid eye disease.  For individuals such as yourself, cosmetic orbital decompression are performed to reduce the prominence of the eyes.  This might include orbital fat removal or removal of orbital bone and fat to make more room for the globes.  The reality is that you should see someone who does a high volume of this type of work.  Generally this will be a university based surgeon.  In Los Angeles, I would recommend Dr. Robert Goldberg or Dr. Katherine Hwang at UCLA Jules Stein Eye Institute.  However, other doctor at other institution also provide this type of care.

Proptosis needs to be decompressed

+1

Based on the pictures you've posted, you appear to have significant proptosis which should have a medical work-up especially for thyroid dysfunction. I do not recommend blepharoplasty or brow lift as these procedures may infact further exagerate the buldging. In my opinion, the best approach is a medial orbital decompression that may help displace the orbits posteriorly and create a more natural appearance. I suggest consulting with a facial plastic or occuloplastic surgeon with extensive experience in orbital decompression. 

Edwin Ishoo, MD
Brookline Facial Plastic Surgeon