Eyelid Surgery Failure from Myasthenia Gravis?

I have mysathenia graivs. My doc did a lid lift in hopes to help this. It did not. I had a lot of complications. I still have droopy lids.

What do we do now to fix this? I assume it is the muscle that lifts the eyelid. I could not open my eyes for 7 days after the surgery, and it was not due to swelling.

I really would prefer to work this out with the doctor and let him fix this. I think the problem is the levator muscle of the eyelid but not sure if Mysathenia Gravis is the cause. How do we fix it? I feel so betrayed.

Eyelid surgery can help when myasthenia is well controlled

+1

Ellaa, eyelid surgery can help droopy eyelids from myasthenia, but it will not help if the myasthenia is not first controlled. Usually, myasthenia can be controlled with pills. Some people need surgery to remove their thymus gland, and others need a treatment called plasmapheresis to get their myasthenia under control. It is best to go back to your neurologist and optimize your control of the myasthenia before considering any other surgery on your eyelids.

Philadelphia Oculoplastic Surgeon

Eyelid ptosis secondary to myasthenia gravis is treated medically, not with surgery

+1

Myasthenia gravis is a medical condition resulting from neural transmission problems between the nerve and the muscle. This results in a "weak muscle" and secondary ptosis. Myasthenia gravis can usually be treated with medications to correct the neurologic problem and thereby correct the ptosis. Surgery is a last resort and frequently is unsuccessful.

Russell W. Neuhaus, MD (in memoriam)
Austin Oculoplastic Surgeon