Extended Cuts Normal After Eyelid Surgery?

I have upper and lower Eyelid surgery 6 weeks ago. I still have swelling and a lot of redness. The thing I am most concerned about is that I have 2 cuts one from the lower and another from the upper that extented about an inch past the corner of my eyes.

Is it normal to have the cuts that extend past my eyes and how much longer is reasonable before the redness and swelling disappear?

Longer scars after an eyelid surgery

+1

the redness can happen from the normal healing process and will get better. As to the length of the scar, that varies from patient to patient. The more skin that had to be removed, the longer the scar is  to avoid a pleat at the end. if one needs a large amount of skin and it is attempted with a shorter scar, the skin will not drape as well, With time, the scar will fade and the longer scars will not be a as visible.

Are the cuts too long?

+1

the question is moot at this point. I will tell you that every incision I make is marked preop on the pt in the exact location planned. I then have the patient examine the markings in the mirror as well as in photos and give them an opportunity to comment, question, complain. I then remark or explain. this way every incision is planned and agreed upon by pt. I then write a preop note stating that the pt reviewed the markings and understands the plan as well as the locations of the incisions. this makes us both sleep better.

Rafael C. Cabrera, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Scar location after eyelid surgery

+1

Incision placement varies a little depending on the operation performed and your own anatomy.  Usually at six weeks the swelling and redness will have decreased markedly, but occasionally, depending on the procedure and the method and the patient, the swelling and redness can persist for a longer period of time.

Richard Weiss, MD
Newport Beach Oculoplastic Surgeon

Eyelid blepharoplasty healing

+1

Mary in Buffalo:

Different amounts of skin looseness, and different eyelid tuck procedures, create different length scars. We try to discuss this with patients prior to surgery. Generally longer scars are associated with removal of more loose skin, or specifically more loose skin beyond the corner of the eye.

Fortunately, eyelid skin tends to heal as well as or better than skin from other areas of the body. Once the healing is complete, you are likely to have very good scars. In the mean time, ask your surgeon about additional options (scar gel, makeup, massage, laser) and be careful to prevent UV light (sun damage).

The redness and swelling should be mild in the next few weeks, but complete maturation of the scars takes many months.

Sutton Graham II, MD
Greenville Plastic Surgeon

Cuts frequently extend past the corners of the eyes.

+1

In the course of normal blepharoplasty the incisions rarely stop at the corner of the eye. This is less likely the more skin you have. We typically end the upper incision where the skin fold ends. The lower incision needs to extend to a point that makes the redraping of the skin is done without distortion. In extreme situatios this incision can extend to the orbital rim..... These scars will heal.

Richard Gentile, MD
Youngstown Facial Plastic Surgeon

The cuts sound too long.

+1

Hi!

The cuts sound too long, but there is nothing you can do about it now. The good news is that eyelid scars really fade with time.

Most of the swelling should be gone by now, but it probably will resolve in the next few weeks. Hard to be sure without seeing you, but you probably are just healing a little slowly. If you don't look good in 3 months, then it is time to worry.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Photos would be helpful to answer this question

+1

Dear Mary

Your bleph scars do sound a bit long. How long they need to be is in part determined by what the surgeon felt needed to be removed.

The beauty of upper eyelid surgery is that much of this incision hides under the upper eyelid fold. However, when the incision needs to extend into the crowsfeet lines, it will be obvious as is the case with the lower eyelid incision.

In time these scars will mature and the redness will fade. While they will become less conspicuous they will always been visible on close inspection. These scars can be revised if necessary.

I am impressed that many patients are quite satisfied with the scars once they have had an opportunity to fully heal and although it may be hard to believe now, these may not be all that visible in time. This is something that can easily take a full 6 months or more to improve.

Dr. Steinsapir