Eyelid Appearance when Blepharoplasty Stitches Break?

What will I look like once the eyelid surgery stitches do not hold up anymore? Will my double eyelid disappear?

The answer to this question depends on what type of double eyelid surgery you had.

+1

Dear C123

There are basically two types of double fold surgeries: Suture methods and actually surgery. With suture methods such as pang sutures, the fold is created by threading the eyelid with the suture.

This approach is most common in Asian countries and is often performed by non physicians. The presence of the fold is entirely dependent on the presence of the stitches. Once these break which they eventually do, the fold will disappear.

The other type of surgery involves removal of tissue to create a controlled scar in the eyelid. This type of surgery hold up much better that the suture technique and tends to be permanent.

Dr. Steinsapir

Most likely Not

+1

C123,

Based on your concern having a double-eyelid, I only assume that you have Asian eyelids with an absence of the crease.

Most Asian blepharoplasty procedures use suture from the skin to the deeper muscle, which help create the double-eyelid / crease. These sutures may be either absorbable or require removal.

Sutures and stitches for cosmetic eyelid surgery is only realistically important for a few days/weeks. The appearance of your eyes should not return to the way it looked prior to the surgery. After a few days/weeks, these areas fuse with a little scar & fibrous band. At this point the sutures are no longer required to maintain the crease. If the stitches break within the first day or two, then yes the crease can go away. It's a simple revision to put a new stitch back in.

Speak with your plastic surgeon or ophthalmologist, if you have any concerns regarding Asian blepharoplasty stitches.

Houtan Chaboki, MD
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon