How is an Eyelid Surgery Performed?

I'm considering in the future to have Eyelid surgery done. I have really low brow bones which causes me to not really have any space between my eyelid and my eyebrows.

In turn, means extra eyelid skin. I can't even put on eye shadow anymore because the extra skin causes it to move and ruin my makeup. What would be the easiest way to describe the procedure?

Blepharoplasty reduces excess skin and fat of eyes

+1

The question is whether or not your have eyebrows are low enough to necessitate needing a browlift. Eyelid surgery is performed to remove excess skin on the upper lid, which may be touching the eyelashes. Fat can also be removed on the upper lids to deepen the eye crease so that more eye shadow makeup can be applied. A browlift is performed through incisions in the forehead. This can be performed through an endoscopic approach or through a more open approach depending upon the needs and desires of the patient and the presenting issues regarding the frontalis wrinkles, glabellar wrinkles, and height of the hairline.

Blepharoplasty

+1

It sounds like you need either a brow lift or upper eyelid blepharoplasty, or both, depending on your anatomy and history. Eye shadow is put on the "platform" area of the upper eyelid and it can get hidden from brow drooping-deflation and/or extra upper eyelid skin.

Mehryar (Ray) Taban, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Upper eyelid surgery procedure to remove excess skin

+1

Kristine456,

Upper eyelid surgery is a very common cosmetic surgical procedure. Excess sagging skin develops with age in the upper eyelid contributing to an aged appearance. Upper lid bleparoplasty may be performed under local anesthesia, IV sedation (twilight), or general anesthesia depending on your preference, and/or if are having additional procedures.

Although subtle variations exist, generally upper eyelid surgery primarily removes a little strip of skin with or without fat & muscle. You can estimate how much skin the plastic surgeon may remove by pinching the excess skin yourself. The wound is closed with absorbable sutures that don't need to be removed.

Bruising & swelling is generally just in the upper eyelid & brow area, but may extend to the lower eyelids too from gravity. Recovery is within a few day to a weeks, with maximum cosmetic benefit by one to two months.

A droopy or descended eyebrow will also contribute to excess upper eyelid tissue. Some patients with low brows would better benefit from a forehead lid than plastic surgery of the eyelid. Speak with a plastic surgeon who specializes in eyelid surgery to see if blepharoplasty and/or brow surgery is appropriate for you. Best of luck.

Houtan Chaboki, MD
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon