Eyelid Surgery for Dark Circles and Slight Asymmetry?

I have dark circles under my eyes and darkness along all of the orbital area. I can trace back my condition as far as 10 years old, and I am now 16. I have done a lot of research, and found out that I may have hollowness under my eyes, since they look to be punched in. The condition is worst in my right eye. My right eyelid is further up than that of the left, and my lower left eyelid goes further up than the other one to the left, making one eye seem bigger than the other. Thanks.

Nothing should be done until you are at least 25 years of age

+2

It is not normal for 16 year old to do this kind of research at age 16.  I am not even sure if this website should allow you to post without the permission of your parents.  I would be very concerned that decisions made at age 16 will not be right as you get older.  

Be patient, your body and how you think about it will change as you get older.  If you are spending many hours a day thinking about this problem, I recommend that you talk frankly with your parents regarding this.  It may represent an issue that should be addressed by a counselor so you do not spend many productive hours a day thinking about these types of issues.

Dark Circles Under the Eyes

+1

If the dark circles are due to deep pigmentation, there is no significant worthwhile treatment.  You would have to be evaluated by a physician very experienced with lasers to see if lasers could possibly treat this pigmentation.  On the other hand, if the dark circles are due to or significantly contributed to by the shadowing effect of fat puffiness, removing this prominent fat puffiness can be performed.  In your case, at your age, with a transconjunctival blepharoplasty with no external skin incisions or scars.

Sigmund L. Sattenspiel, MD
Freehold Facial Plastic Surgeon

Dark under-eye circles at young age

+1

Dark circles under the eyes at age 16 are usually a reflection of either genetics or allergies.  It is important to make sure that any allergies are under good control and you are on a low salt diet.  With true dark complected skin, you will always have dark circles.

Surgery can be helpful, but it depends on whether there is fat in that area

+1

For dark circles and asymmetry, surgery can be helpful, but it depends on whether there is fat in that area. However, the dark circles in individuals are often due to hollows or contour irregularities. In these cases, injecting a dermal filler may be preferred over surgery. Each patient is different and it will depend on the reason for the dark circles.

For example, if the dark circles are in the skin, then skin treatments such as laser treatments may be indicated. Surgery will not help the dark circles if they are in the skin because of a difference in pigment. The best way to find out what will work for your individual needs is to see an Oculofacial plastic surgeon whospecializes in a number of different treatments. The physician will be able to determine the reason for the dark circles and customize treatment for you.

Joseph A. Eviatar, MD, FACS
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Dark circles?

+1

In my opinion there are no surgical solutions for  "dark circles" around your eyes,  I would not advise you seek surgical correction of this issue at your age.  

Dr. ES

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

16 year old with dark circles

+1

Unfortunately, dark circles around the eyes can be hereditary and often it is due to the muscle color appearing through thin eyelid skin. I would not recommend anything for you at this point.