I feel Like too Much Skin Was Removed During Eyelid Surgery, am I Over Analyzing? (photo)

Something does not feel right. The surgeon is experienced and told me that I need to give it more time. I'm hoping that I'm just over analyzing. I was told that minimal fat and skin was removed.

You seldom go wrong trusting your intuition.

+2

These are very fuzzy photos.  However, you have upper eyelid retraction on the right side.  The right upper eyelid margin is hitting the top of the colored portion of the right eye which is know as the limbus.  Normally the upper eyelid strikes the eye at a position somewhat below this.  Without a thorough examination it is difficult to know what is accounting for this.  However, weakness in the muscle that helps close the eye, the orbicularis oculi on the upper eyelid platform could account for this small difference.   In the photo it looks like you are able to close the eyelids.  Do you have any dryness in the eyes, sense of irritation, or foreign body sensation?  Sometimes these types of issues resolve over a period of weeks after an eyelid surgery.  If you symptoms do not get better or seem to be getting worse, I would recommend an assessment by an oculoplastic surgeon.

Postop eyelid issues

+1
From the photo you submitted, it appears that you can close your eyes completely. It is unclear when you underwent surgery although the photo does appear to show a relatively fresh scar. It can take several months for the eyelids to settle down. The photos do not disclose an unreasonable result. Be patient and followup with your surgeon.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Over-resected eyelids?

+1

It is hard to say if too much skin was removed. You appear to be still healing so I would expect some tightness still. It can take up to a few months for the swelling to completely resolve.

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD

I feel Like too Much Skin Was Removed During Eyelid Surgery, am I Over Analyzing?

+1

I have performed Blepharoplasty for over 20 years and IMHO men's upper eyelids should have some skin and not aesthetically appear like they have a completely opened crease as this is a relative feminine trait and should be reseved for women's Blepharoplasty.  Like all plastic and cosmetic nsurgery, IMO, it's the aesthetic judgement of the plastic and cosmetic surgeon that's the most important to the patient.  Is this the way men's upper eyelid surgery should be look?  IMHO, aesthetically the answer is NO.

Post operative result

+1

It would be useful to have some details re your surgery,such as how long ago was the surgery and what are the specific problems you are experiencing. Without any details it is not possible to comment on your specific issues in a meaningful way.

Jay M. Pensler, MD

Tightness after Eyelid Surgery

+1

SarahZ,

You seem to have had a reasonable result after eyelid surgery.  It is not unusual to have a feeling of tightness early on, and this should resolve in time.  If your surgeon does not answer your questions in a satisfactory manner, I would suggest you see a member of the American Society of Ophthalmic Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery.  Dr. Karim Punja in Calgary would be an excellent choice.

Michael McCracken, MD
Lone Tree Oculoplastic Surgeon

Amount Of Skin Removal After Upper Blepharoplasty

+1

Early after an upper blepharoplasty the eyelids can feel tight and the orbicularis muscle may not have recovered full function. This can create the impression that maybe too much skin was removed. However, if you can completely close your eyes with minimal effort, and they are completely closed when you are sleeping, then too much skin has not been removed. With more recovery and healing time, these initial feelings will pass. Unless you have some persistent dryness of the eyes, particularly in the morning, then you should allow six months to pass before getting a final evaluation by your surgeon.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

+1

Photos are acceptable but you failed to give time estimate as for post operative interval. Your scars/incisions appear reddish so I assume at most 1 month. Very early in healing phase, wait for 6 months. Regards

Eye closure after upper bleph is key

+1

You haven't given all the information here but as long as you can close your eyes, there wasn't too much skin taken off.  An in person exam is necessary to determine this but your photos look fine.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

It just doesn't feel right!

+1

Including photos was very helpful to those of us who wish to address your problem.  But the single most important detail, which unfortunately you omitted, is how long it has now been after surgery.  But I certainly agree that it looks like you will have an excellent result.  Relax.  I do think you are over analyzing!

Lawrence Kass, MD
Saint Petersburg Oculoplastic Surgeon