Eyelid Surgery - Candidate With Blepharochalasis?

I found out last week from an eye specialist that I might have blepharochalasis. This is the first time I have heard of this syndrome. I have had swelling every night for the past two years. I obtained my surgical report and it has Blepharochalasis as my issue but the surgeon never discussed this syndrome with me or asked any of the questions that probably should have been asked before surgery. I do not like the results of the surgery but can anything be done if you have blepharochalasis.

If you are not satisfied with your eyelid surgery and are confused about the diagnosis, check back with your doctor.

+1

Check back with the physician who did your surgery for clarification regarding your diagnosis and the results of the surgery that he/she performed.  If you are still uncertain, seek a second opinion. 

Salt Lake City Dermatologic Surgeon

Blepharochalsis syndrome and blepharoplasty

+1

Blepharochalasis syndrome is a disease of unknown cause which involves swelling of the eyelids, often in the mornings. After a while it results in excess skin in the upper eyelids and a red crinkly appearance of the upper eyelid skin called peau d'orange (French for orange skin.) This can make the eyelids look much older than your actual age. The treatment is to remove the skin with a standard blepharoplasty. If it is truly blepharochalasis syndrome, there is really no other specific treatment. Some people refer to excess skin in the upper eyelid as "blepharochalasis," which just means extra skin due to aging.

Jeffrey Schiller, MD
Staten Island Oculoplastic Surgeon