Eyelid Surgery Before and After Pictures

I'm considering blepharoplasty for upper and lower eyelids, and I've been looking at before and after pictures -- and I like what I've seen. However, I'm wary of looking at just the best results. How many is a good number for a surgeon's portfolio and can I expect to see photos of eyelid surgery scars? It seems like most have eyes open and make up on.

Photos don't tell the whole story for eyelid procedures

+3

Your question is a great one because photos don't tell the whole story. I too wonder whether surgeons show all their photos or just the best results. And photos with makeup may be misleading. In my practice, I do not show any facial photos, in person or on my website as my patient population wants confidentiality.

I prefer to have prospective patients speak with others in the practice who have undergone the procedure in which they are interested. It is important that you are comfortable with your surgeon and that you share an understanding about your goals and concerns and the limitations of the procedure. And of course make sure that you are seeing a surgeon who is board certified to do the surgery you are requesting.

Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Eye lid pictures don't show scars

+3

Most eye lid procedures produce a very small and barely perceptible scar. The most important thing with eye lid photos is the appearance of the eye and the amount of skin that is left. Use eye photos on the web to see the type of correction that is possible and see if this applies to you.

You are right to be skeptical about web photos because they are selected photos that show good results. There is no way to know for sure just by looking at photos. Have a candid conversation with your surgeon and make sure you feel good about your ability to communicate with him or her.

Best Wishes.

Saint George Plastic Surgeon

Eyelid surgery before and after photos

+2
When evaluating before and after photos first look only at the "after" image alone.  Does this look like a photograph of someone who has had plastic surgery? If a plastic surgeon has dozens of images of natural looking results, that is a start. But it isn't the only way to evaluate your plastic surgeon.
Check your doctors background and training. Speak to previous patients and yes, do view many before a=nad after photographs.

Web reference: http://www.michaellawmd.com

Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Eyelid Surgery Photos

+2

How many plastic surgeons are going to show you lousy photos of eyes they screwed up? Of course they are only going to show the good results. The more they have done the more photos they have. Talk to the doctor, experience, communication and trust are important. Photos can be doctored.

+1

Blepharoplasty photos are important to see but they are not the entire story. I would make an appointment with several board certified Plastic Surgeons and then talk with them and see if you feel confident in their abilities and manner. Then review their photos with the surgeon and make your decision.

Web reference: http://www.drvitenas.com/blepharoplasty.html

Eyelid surgery photos in natural lighting with no makeup are best

+1

Ideally, before and after pictures should be taken under standard conditions, with standard lighting, and standard camera settings, without any makeup on. In this way, pictures are more consistent and you can get a true sense of what to expect from the surgery.

With upper eyelid surgery, the scar falls in a natural skin crease. As a result, this scar is difficult to see both in real life and in pictures. With lower eyelid surgery, I most commonly make the incision on the inside of the eyelid so that this scar is not visible at all. Occassionally, when a scar must be made on the outside, it is placed immediately adjacent to the eyelid margin – right next to the eyelashes- so that it is very difficult to see as well. If this scar were visible, it would certainly be visible with the eyes open or closed, in pictures.

If you are not comfortable with the number or appearance of the before and after photos of your potential eyelid surgeon, you might consider asking the surgeon if you could have permission to speak with or to meet one or two of his previous eyelid surgery patients. I believe it is important to have patients available that are willing to share their results and experiences with other potential patients, to help them make their decision about their potential surgery.

You will probably find the real life no-make up picture of one of my patients featured on our patient experience blog very helpful.  She chronicled her whole experience. You can find our blog link off of my website (Search Category: blepharoplasty)

Web reference: http://real-cosmetic-procedures-surgery.com

Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

There is no good number of pictures in a doctor's portfolio that guarantees a good surgical result.

+1

I think it is a good idea to look at pictures at the doctor's office.  We will give the names of patients willing to discuss their experience and occasionally they will meet a prospective patient for a first hand look.  I think due diligence is the best way to select a surgeon.  If you have a family physician, have that doctor check out the reputation of the plastic surgeon.

Web reference: http://www.zubowicz.com/subpag,22-atlanta-eyelid.htm

Before and after eyelid surgery pictures

+1

Eyelid surgery is a delicate operation and should be performed by someone familiar with the intricacies. The appearance of the scars generally never cause much concern as they do conceal well without makeup with time.

The more important thing to assess from the pictures is the eyelid position. Make sure the upper eyelid is not too high or low and that the lower eyelid is not pulled down due to abnormal scarring. Ultimately, you should choose a surgeon with proper qualifications like board certification and that you trust.

Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon

Blepharoplasty (eyelid surgery) before and after photos

+1

Eyelid surgery (blepharoplasty) needs to be performed by somebody who is adept and has performed thousands of blepharoplasties. Look at previous patients and many of the surgeon’s before and after photos to get an idea of the caliber and quality of his or her work. Viewing 10 to 20 before and after photos is a reasonable amount of before and after photos to make a decision on which surgeon to choose. Many plastic surgeons have performed eyelid surgery on their staff and it best to ask to see if a staff member has had it done.

Web reference: http://www.seattlefacial.com

For eyelid surgery, see someone experienced

+1

Eyelid surgery is a great way to achieve rejuvenation of the periorbital area. There is no specific number that translates to great results. Go to someone who is expereinced with aeshtetic surgery, and that friends have used who are happy with their results.. Also make sure that the staff is helpful and the doctor is receptive to your needs.