Eyelid Surgery Gone Bad, How Do I Get It Fixed....What Are my Options?

I had lower and upper eyelid surgery on 15th of November..... My surgeons incision lines are too high and too low so my scaring is greatly visible.... Can you tell me what the options are to fix this?? My scars are indented on the upper lids and I got bubble like bumps on the lower lids..... Please help me, my surgeon choice was a big mistake and I need this fixed! I am willing to pay what it takes, can you give me your most honest advise??

Many Options Following Eyelid Surgery

+1

The first answer is of course to give it some time to see whether or not you will heal these in a way that is less perceptible than you are experiencing now.

Certainly the diligence you did pre-surgically has value and I am certain you looked at before and after photographs of your surgeon’s outcomes. If you are left with scars that are not in the right position, there are a tremendous number of variables and options for you to think about and pursue. The first course of action is to do very little except to make sure that your scars heal properly and then wait 3 to 6 months before you do any revisions or any other trial of additional therapies. I counsel you to wait until your tissues have reached equilibrium of suppleness and scar maturity. I often tell patients they may need to wait more than a year before they do any significant revisions of their scars. Because your skin excess has been removed already, it makes for some challenges as to how to reposition your scar without causing other distortions. Patients with your circumstance and a reluctance to undergo anything until you are stably healed is something a mature plastic surgeon would be able to counsel you through. I am sorry to hear that you feel this way about your outcome.

Cleveland Plastic Surgeon

Too soon!

+1

It general, unless there is severe ocular surface disease due to an inability to close your eyelids, eyelid surgery revision is not a good idea sooner than 6 months after surgery. ALL scars will soften with time and at a years time, revision surgery, if needed, will be much easier and more predictable and successful.

Now in the meantime, a second consultation with an Oculoplastics surgeon will help you gain some peace of mind during this wait period. The ASOPRS website is a good one to find one close to you.

A.J. Amadi, MD
Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon

Eyelid Surgery Help

+1

Great question! I recommend that once you have waited for proper healing for at least 6 months, you may be able to have the scars revised.

Mark Codner, MD

Secondary Eyelid Surgery

+1

Secondary eyelid surgery can be very complicated. Therefore, one needs to wait at least 6-12 months to allow for the previous scarring to subside. You will need to see someone who has expertise in oculo plastic surgery and secondary eyelid surgery as this can be much like rhinoplasty in that you only have so many chances to get it done correctly.

Rod J. Rohrich, MD

Unhappy After Cosmetic Eyelid Surgery

+1

I am sorry to hear that you are unhappy after your eyelid surgery.  It has only been a couple of months and things still may improve with time.  Patiently watching and waiting can be extremely helpful.  If you are concerned about the color of the incisions (persistent redness), then vascular laser treatments usually help this improve dramatically.  If the issue is about the placement of the incisions, it is impossible to give advice without more information and actually examining you.  If you do seek another opinion, make sure you bring as many old photographs showing your appearance before surgery as well as your appearance when you were young.  This helps us determine what goals you might like to achieve to help you preserve your most natural look.

Brian Biesman, MD
Nashville Oculoplastic Surgeon

Corrective eyelid surgery

+1

It is likely too early after surgery to do any corrective surgery as time can make things better (up to 6 months after surgery).  You can consult with an oculoplastic surgeon for options.

Mehryar (Ray) Taban, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

There is no substitute for an actual consultation.

+1

It very much sounds like you will benefit from a second opinion.  The American Society for Ophthalmic Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery maintains a geographic directory on their website which will help you find a well qualified surgeon (asoprs dot org).

Eyelid surgery gone bad

+1

Without photos, it is pretty hard for anyone on this forum to offer you reasonable advice.  That said, I agree with Dr. Fryer.  It is still pretty early, and I think you should wait further for things to settle before considering a surgical revision.  You might want to check the member directory of ASOPRS to find an oculo-facial surgeon near you.

Lawrence Kass, MD
Saint Petersburg Oculoplastic Surgeon

Scars are prominent for several weeks following blepharoplasty

+1

Scars can be prominent for several weeks following blepharoplasty and you should follow your doctor's advice regarding scar care to improve the results.  Some small lumps along the scar line are not uncommon and should resolve.

Without photographs it is difficult to comment if there is anything else that might be going on.

Richard H. Fryer, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon