Crepey Eyelid Skin Help

I have crepey, loose skin in my eye area, mostly on my eyelids.  I wonder if having a blepharoplasty can fix the crepey skin problem. Are there any options besides eyelid surgery to fix my crepey eyelids?

If you have a lot of excess skin then surgery would be...

+5

If you have a lot of excess skin then surgery would be necessary to remove the excess skin (although lasers will tighten it somewhat). If your only concern is the quality of the skin (the crepiness) and you don't have excess skin, then you're better off not having surgery.

Options to address the crepey eyelid skin are prescription creams like Retin-A or non-prescription creams containing glycolic acid, lactic acid, or a similar exfoliant. Be careful - these will likely cause irritiation, redness and swelling, so start off with minimal amounts and gradually increase as tolerated.

Lasers or chemical peels can also be used on the eyelid skin to treat the condition of the skin and create a tightening which will reduce or remove the crepiness.

Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Eyelid surgery for crepey skin

+5
When I read the title question I was prepared to discuss laser resurfacing and chemical peels with you. However, when I read the description of your eyelids it became clear that surgery is your best option.
Eyelid surgery can be done under local anesthesia and can be a very easy recovery depending on the techniques your surgeon needs to use. Simple skin removal has minimal complications and a quick recovery.
The reason I am telling you this is because lesser procedures yield less cosmetic results. Mild crepey skin, which I see as a textural problem, can be addressed very nicely with a laser resurfacing or a TCA peel. Both of these techniques thicken the dermis and help the texture of the skin. When excess skin is present, as well as crepey skin, surgery is the answer.
I hope this is helpful.

Web reference: http://www.drrobkessler.com/facial-surgery/eyelid-surgery

There are several component to loose, crepey skin in the...

+4

There are several component to loose, crepey skin in the eyelid area, and therefore, several options to fix the underlying problem.

Surgery, indeed is probably one of the best options when there is a lot of extra loose skin, especially on the upper lids. It is usually done in the office, frequestly under local anesthesia, sometimes with minimal sedation, and has proved to be one of the best and cost-effective treatments.

If you decide against the surgery, Active FX/ Deep FX laser resurfacing can be done easily, under local anesthesia, with minimal downtime, and good outcome - skin tightening and wrinkle improvement.

Other options that we use include a combination of fillers, such as Restylane, and special technique Botox injections, to improve the skin texture and overall eye area appearance.

Crepey eyelid skin

+4

Crepey or loose eyelid skin is a common problem faced by many patients. Depending on the amount of excess skin the treatement options are different.

Mimimal excess skin: Can be addressed with chemical peel (TCA 30-40%) or LASER. Can be performed in the office.

Moderate/Severe: Surgery is the preferred method to actually removed the excess skin. Can be done under local anesthesia if fat is not being removed.

It is critical to note that blepharoplasty or eyelid surgery should not be performed in isolation for those patients with low brow position.

Virginia Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

If you have extra skin that is crepey, you will need...

+3

If you have extra skin that is crepey, you will need surgery to remove the extra.  This may not totally solve the problem and you probably will still need medical grade skin care treatments and even possibly laser or chemical peels to get the most change possible.

Depending on your aesthetic desires, extra skin on your...

+3

Depending on your aesthetic desires, extra skin on your eyelids can be tightened up by non-surgical means.

The most important thing to remember is that eyelid skin is very thin and fragile. I will routinely start my patient on some type of topical eye cream like Retin-A or Vitamin C serum. My favorite skin thickening cream is NIA-24, a niacin cream that repairs DNA in your skin to produce healthier collagen. I also like to use a hyaluronic gel to plump up the fine wrinkles. Next, I will use a chemical peel to remove old dry superficial skin layers. Finally, a laser would be used to resurface and shrink the excess skin on the lids.

Please remember, however, that non-surgical means work best on light to moderate eyelid aging. If you truly have lots of excess skin then you would be best served with a blepharoplasty.

Web reference: http://www.drmanishshah.com

Denver Plastic Surgeon

Crepey Eyelid Skin Can be Made Lots Better!

+2

Crepey eyelid skin can be made much better using one- or a combination of techniques.

Blepharoplasty might be the answer if the problem is extra skin and all the crepey skin can be safely cut out.

Alternative (or complementary) techniques include chemical peel or laser to tighten fin lines.

Consult with your surgeon as to which is best for you.

Denver Plastic Surgeon

Crepe Eyelid Skin Help

+2

There are many ways crepe skin can be handled.  It depends on many factors including how crepe the skin is, where is the crepe skin, and how much excess skin there is.   

If there is too much skin, especially in the upper eyelids, surgery is the best option.

If the crepe skin is in the lower lids, I usually prefer an approach with fractionated CO2 laser resurfacing.  Other lasers can work as well.  Creams can work over a long period of time but usually only in the mild cases and the results are not usually as good.  Surgery can be an option as well, but it depends on whether the problem is severe enough and worth the risks.

The main thing is to see a qualified eyelid specialist who can accurately advise you..

Web reference: http://www.neweyelids.com/photogallery.html

Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Surger or laser treatments can get reduce crepey lower eyelid skin.

+2

First the options depend on whether it is the lower or upper eyelid skin. Typically the lower eyelid skin can be treated with either surgery or LASER. If the lower eyelid skin is really just crepey this is a skin quality issue and LASER would be my choice.

If there is skin redundancy and/or bags, surgery would be my choice; there is a chance you would also need LASER for optimal result. Upper eyelid skin is usually best treated by surgical excision. All patients should use a Vitamin A derivative product such as retinol or Retin-A which helps increase the collagen levels in the skin and helps maintain a good skin quality. Upper eyelid is usually not treated with Vitamin A derivative products. Hope this helps.

Crepey eyelid repair

+2

Not only are there other options, these may be preferable, depending on the degree of skin laxity, lid laxity, fat pockets. Fractional ablative lasers offer a controlled way to tighten skin in this area with relatively little downtime. Other options include a phenol peel, which can give an excellent, cost-effective result in this situation. Good luck!