If Eyelid Spacer Material Used in Reconstructive Surgery is Removed, Will Eyelid Fall Further? (photo)

I had surgery four months ago to correct lagothalmos and mild retraction. The first picture is the Before picture...the second one is Post-Op four months. Since surgery I have had numerous infections, been on both steroids and antibiotics (have a chalazion right now), and my doctor and I believe I may be allergic to the Tar-Sys spacer used to support the lower lid. If I remove the spacer material will I have to replace it with something?

Eyelid spacer material

+1

If you and your doctor decide removing the spacer is necessary, you could consider ear cartilage or hard palate grafting. They work better in my opinion because they aren't readily broken down by the body and replaced with a scar, thus less inflammation after surgery. The one downside is that they have to be harvested, resulting in a second surgical site. In my experience patients recover well and do better long term.  

Salt Lake City Oculoplastic Surgeon

Many eyelid surgeons like tar-sys.

+1

Tar-sys is a porcine derived product.  There are of course other off the shelf products used for eyelid reconstruction.  The advantage of the is that your own tissues are not harvested for this reconstruction.  The problem is that the body may not like the product leading to inflammation.  This is uncomfortable and can lead to resorption.  It would have to be a very unusual circumstance to justify the removal of the graft because this can lead to failure of the original surgery.