One Eyelid Smaller/droopier Than Other? (photo)

Hi, I'm only 18 and my right eyelid is significantly droopier than my left. The only cause I can think of for this is 5 years of excessive eyebrow plucking during which I mainly focused on my right eyebrow because the other was covered with a fringe. So I was wondering if there is anything I can do to help fix this. Creams? Facial exercises? Am I a candidate for eyelid surgery?

Smaller eyelid

+1

You are suffering from upper eyelid ptosis or mechanical dehiscence of the levator aponeurosis which is the garage door of your eyelid.  Sometimes this is caused by excessive manipulation of the eye, sometimes excessive blinking (occurs commonly in those wearing contacts for years), but often in a young woman this would be genetic.  I would recommend seeing an oculoplastic surgeon to correct this.  You can have a very successful outcome from a procedure for this issue.

Scottsdale Facial Plastic Surgeon

You did not cause this by plucking your brows.

+1

No creams will help this.  What you have is mild left upper eyelid ptosis.  You also have compensatory lift in the left eyebrow.  I would be careful not to pluck the left brow hair to compensate too much for the left brow hike.  Surgery can be performed for this.  This surgery is best performed by a board certified ophthalmologist who is fellowship trained in oculoplastic surgery and a fellow of the American Society for Ophthalmic Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery (ASOPRS dot org).  General plastic surgeons and facial plastic surgeons do occasionally offer ptosis surgery.  Occasional is the operative word and it is best to work with surgeons who do a particular surgery all the time.  Given your age, I might counsel you to wait on upper eyelid surgery.  It very much depends on the overall impact of this subtle difference on your facial appearance.  None of us are perfectly symmetric and small differences, including this one are often very acceptable.  This has to be weight against the risk of disappointing upper eyelid surgery.  Ptosis surgery is really only accurate to about a 1 mm.  As you may have less than 1 mm of ptosis, your surgical outcome could under or overcorrect you.  That would be a real problem and a sophisticated surgeon should openly counsel you on this point.   Sometimes only the positives are really emphasized (or heard) during a consultation.  Also it is possible that both sides are a little droopy and this needs to be carefully assessed at the time of consultation.  Please ask yourself if this is really something that needs to be addressed at this time in your life.  

Mild upper lid ptosis

+1

It appears you have mild upper eyelid ptosis although need your full face photo to better assess.  There are various causes of ptosis, which needs to be evaluated. Cosmetic ptosis surgery is an option.  See an oculoplastic surgeon.

Mehryar (Ray) Taban, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon