Eyelid Skin Moisturiser After Surgery?

Can lacri-lube be used on the eyelid skin itself (temporarily) to help moisturize the area post eyelid surgery (6 weeks)? The area is dry and I have tried several eye moisturing creams but it has made me itchy. Are there any alternatives to eye creams that is recommended?

Petrolatum based moisturizer ..

+1

yes, lacri-lube can be used on the eyelid skin itself as it is a petrolatum based moisturizer. You may also consider Aquaphor.

New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Caring for Eyelid Incisions after Blepharoplasty

+1

Incisions after any surgery can be sensitive, dry, itchy and irritated. Eyelid skin, while it heals quickly, can also be susceptible to reactions to medications and other creams.

I tell my blepharoplasty patients, if they have been healing as expected, that at 2-3 weeks after surgery they can stop using antibiotics ointments (which themselves can cause itching, redness and irritation from prolonged use).

• Vitamin E oil is a wonderful, natural lubricant and scar cream. It can be applied several times a day with a massaging action in the direction of middle to outer corner to soften the scar
  • Cetaphil lotion can be applied just as well to the eyelid skin to moisturize. It has no perfumes, chemicals, or other additives that would irritate the skin
  • For more extreme dry and itchy skin, Aquaphor ointment can be lightly applied 2-3 times a day

All of these items are available over-the-counter. If the issue is more severe, the problem certainly needs to be discussed with your surgeon or ophthalmologist.

Happy Healing!

Manu Gujrati, MD
San Jose Facial Plastic Surgeon

Dermatitis

+1

Lacrilube is just fine to use around the eyelids, but you may need to have a dermatologist or an ophthalmologist take a look at your eyelids. If there is an allergic response, some other eyelid ointments may help improve things more.

A.J. Amadi, MD
Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon

Vanacream is a moisturizing cream that can be used on eyelids that is unlikely to cause an allergy.

+1

It sound like you may have a contact dermatitis to some common eye creams. Vanacream is a moisturizing cream that can be used on eyelid skin that is unlikely to cause an allergy.

Mark Taylor, MD
Salt Lake City Dermatologic Surgeon

Moisturiser

+1

Never use any products in or around the eyes that are not intended for ophthalmic use. Ophthalmology offices have products that will help your dry condition.  Well Wishes!

Robert Shumway, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Yes

+1

Not a problem to use lacrilube on the skin. I would recommend using aquaphor instead. Use a q-tip to apply to dry areas as needed.

James H. Rosing, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon