Eyelid Ptsosis or Extra Skin Layer?

Hi I'm 19 years old and while my eyes have never been perfectly symmetrical I've noticed the severity in the offending eye becoming increasing sagging. Its starting to effect my eyesight, it feels like i can't blink properly and that the lid is dragging across my eye. I'm worried there is something wrong but I'm also concerned about the cosmetic nature of it as well, I'm afraid to go to an eye care physician because i wouldn't want to draw people's attention to it. What are my options? Thank you

Asymmetric eyelids. Ptosis or extra skin

+3

To me, it looks like you have a subtle ptosis of the right upper lid.  It is likely congenital but the history of progression is of some concern since neuromuscular disorders can occur in your age and present as such.  Of course you should get it checked out now, at least to make sure that these conditions are not present and to establish a baseline.  It is not terribly apparent and fixing it surgically is entirely your choice.

Saint Petersburg Oculoplastic Surgeon

Droopy eyelid

+2

It would appear that you have a subtle drooping of the right upper eyelid.  One would call this congenital or juvenile ptosis.  There is definitely a correction for this surgically.  It is very important to be sure that this is not related to a neurological condition that is progressive.  A thorough workup by a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon or Opthalmologist would be recommended.  Don't worry about this progressive condition, but certainly have it checked out.

Good luck.

Frank Rieger M.D.  Tampa Plastic Surgeon

Francis (Frank) William Rieger, MD

Eyelid Ptsosis or Extra Skin Layer?

+2

Eyelid Ptsosis or Extra Skin Layer?  From the photos, it does appear that you have about 1mm or so of upper eyelid ptosis.

Ptosis of Right eyelid

+2

You do a slight ptosis of the right eyelid. it is minimal now but may worsen with age. the Surgery is really easy as well as the post op (5 days max). But you have to be aware than it is hard to reach perfect symmetry. Usually 1 mm difference is acceptable between one eyelid and the other. Since your asymmetry is very minimal I would undergo the surgery only if you do feel that it does impair your vision. 

Henri P. Gaboriau, MD

Droopy eyelid

+2

You appear to have a droopy eyelid  - you may want to look at old photographs to see if it has always been present or if it has been worsening.  It may be a congenital ptosis if you notice it in pictures from when you were a child.  Whether something HAS to be done about it is entirely up to you.  It is not blocking your visual axis but it may be affecting your superior field of vision.  I would encourage you to see an ophthalmologist or oculoplastic surgeon to get an examination and let you know what your options are.

Keshini Parbhu, MD
Orlando Oculoplastic Surgeon

Mild upper lid ptosis (droopy)

+2

What you are describing and shows on photos is not uncommon.  You have mild bilateral upper lid ptosis.  It is likely congenital in nature, with perhaps mild worsening over time.  Looking at old photos would help.  You are raising your brows in order to help lift the eyelids, which at times may be worse, especially when you are more tired.  It can be improved with upper lid ptosis surgery (posterior approach so no visible scar on front of eyelid).  Consult an oculoplastic surgeon.

Dr Taban

Mehryar (Ray) Taban, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

I agree that you have subtle upper eyelid ptosis.

+2

Ben

Your photos shows you lifting your forehead.  This could be consistent with a mild upper eyelid ptosis.  I would recommend that you consult with an oculoplastic surgeon in your area.  The American Society for Ophthalmic Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery maintains a geographic directory on their website: ASOPRS.org.  This site will help you find a highly qualified surgeon in your area to see.

Don't delay diagnosis

+2

Waiting to see an ophthalmologist, or eye care physician, for a problem that is getting worse may make treatment more difficult and extreme later on.  If you are concerned about people noticing, this is the best time to see a doctor.   Hopefully by treating it early enough you may avoid attention than if you were to wait.  You may have a serious problem developing and you need to get diagnosed and treated soon.   Good luck.

Adam Hamawy, MD
Princeton Plastic Surgeon

Video on eyelid surgery discussion: eyelid ptosis is correctable but symmetry can be elusive

+1

Repair of eyelid ptosis can be done but the results are hard to guarantee in the best of hands.  In research papers a good result is considered symmetry within 1 mm.  1 mm difference in ptosis is noticeable in the eye. this variance needs to be known by anyone who is considering eyelid ptosis surgery to repair droopy eyelids.  Getting both eyes exactly the same is sometimes very difficult for many reasons.  The surgery introduces swelling, and effects from local anesthetics that makes the judgement of how much to pull up the eye a very tenuous situation.

Philip Young, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon