Eyelid Ptosis? (photo)

Is this eyelid Ptosis? My left eye seems to be drooping and I've recently had the discomfort of not being able to open my left eye when I wake up in the mornings for the past week, I've had to use my finger to lift it open. It has also happened earlier in the summer. Also, my left eye has never drooped before, and this is a significant difference! Help please? I'm only 23 and this is scary!

Lid ptosis

+1

Yes, you do have left lid ptosis.  There are various causes (ie neurogenic, acquired detachment of levator mechanism, etc).  You should see an ophthalmologist or oculoplastic surgeon for a careful examination.  There are surgical options for correcting this.

Fort Walton Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Ptosis

+1

Yes, you have ptosis of the left eye. If it becomes more dramatic it may start to effect your visual field. There are many reasons for ptosis to occur. I recommend you see your physician or an ophthalmologist for an evaluation as to cause of your ptosis

Dr. Mabourakh

Shahriar Mabourakh, MD, FACS
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

Eyelid Ptosis? (photo)

+1

You are certainly right that this looks like ptosis.  The onset of ptosis in a young person like yourself should be worked up by a physician.  See an Oculoplastic surgeon for a work-up and treatment options.

Sam Goldberger, MD
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

New onset ptosis

+1

You definitely do have left upper eyelid ptosis.  There are many causes but if it is something new, you should seek evaluation by an oculoplastic specialist.  Surgery (ptosis surgery) can make it better but first have to find out why you have the new onset ptosis.

Mehryar (Ray) Taban, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Eyelid droop

+1

ptosis can be known as droopy eyelids, sleepy eyes , and many other common terms

basically , the muscles that hold up the eyelid get "rarefied " attachments.  it is repaired by forming a strong bond to reunite the muscle with the eyelid

most of my patients choose repair under local anesthesia.  it is safe, comfortable , and allows me to precisely position the muscle on the eyelid

David V. Martini, MD
Elkton Facial Plastic Surgeon

Ptosis in Asian eyelids

+1

Stay calm!  You'll do fine.  Surprisingly this is quite common.  About 50% of my ptosis repairs are in Asian women ages 20 to 35.  Often comes after a period of swelling, fluid retention, pregnancy, but often there's no cause.  First thing to do is get an evaluation with an Ophthalmologist or an Oculoplastic surgeon.  Ensure there are no medical causes of this that may need to be treated before surgery.  Then move on to surgery. . .possibly.  Your evaluation and workup may include blood tests and even a CT scan of your orbits.  You're not alone and being in LA gives you access to some great doctors and surgeons.

Chase Lay, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon