Eyelid Ptosis or Fatigue?

This is rare, but after starting school and experiencing fatigue, I notice and feel that my right eyelid is drooping lower than the other. This happened before and sleep made it symmetrical again. But now its becoming assymetrical again. Is this serious (Ptosis) or just symptoms of fatigue ? For what its worth; I was squinting my right eye for a large period of time due to the sun, but that was yesterday.

Ptosis worse when tired

+1

Eyelid ptosis (droopiness) always gets worse when one is tired because it becomes harder to pull the eyelid up as you are tired.  See an oculoplastic specialist for evaluation.

Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Ptosis or fatigue

+1

It's tough to say.  Really it could be both but ptosis is complex.  Have an evaluation with an Ophthalmologist or Oculoplastic surgeon and go from there.  You want to ensure you're treated properly.  If you need surgical repair you want to ensure it's is done for the right reasons at the right time.  This video should help a bit. Best of luck.  Chase Lay, MD

Chase Lay, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Variable ptosis

+1

Variable ptosis can be a sign of a neuromuscular problem called ocular myasthenia gravis.

It really depends on how significant your symptoms are. Asymmetric ptosis caused by run of the mill tiredness is not common. It would be unusual for just one eyelid to be tired.

If you decide to explore this further, I would recommend consultation with an ASOPRS trained Oculoplastics surgeon. You can find one close to you on the ASOPRS dot org website. Alternatively, a neuro-ophthalmologist will also be able to accurately assess your problem.

A.J. Amadi, MD
Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon