How Does the Eyelid Properly Heal Without Stitches?

Is stitchless blepharoplasty a viable procedure? What special precautions should be taken during the healing process?

Stitchless Blepharoplasty?

+1

Most surgeons including myself use sutures on blepharoplasty incision lines to achieve predictable fine line scars.

Web reference: http://www.poustiplasticsurgery.com/Procedures/procedure_eyelid.htm

Not a big issue with transconjunctival lower blepharoplasty.

+1

However it is not feasible to perform sutureless upper eyelid surgery.  The forces on the upper eyelid would result in gapping of the skin and this would significantly compromise healing.  Dermabond glue is an option but this could also lead to a depressed upper eyelid scar.  Ultimately, sutures are not such a bad thing.

Web reference: http://www.lidlift.com

Stitchless blepharoplasty?

+1

A lower blepharoplasty with the incision made through the conjunctiva (inside the eye) is often left to heal without stitches.   For any outside skin incision, sutures are always used to close the skin edges together so that the scar heals in a fine line. Sometimes they are running just underneath the skin so it may appear "stitchless".  It's hard to know what your surgeon is planning!    (Best advice is to ask him or her - if it doesn't make sense, beware)

Blepharoplasty Without Sutures?

+1

Eyelid skin is the thinnest in the human body and can be closed after upper eyelid Blepharoplasty in a variety of ways that lead to very acceptable scars.  This assumes that meticulous technique is used and the wounds are not closed with excess tension.  I personally prefer suturing the incisions with a very fine plastic suture (6-0 prolene).  Although use of tissue adhesives such as Dermabond can lead to very acceptable healing, a patient may be at slightly greater risk for wound dehiscence. If a Surgeon promotes a "suture-less Blepharoplasty" as offering a superior result, I would be very dubious.

Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.