Eyelid Not Healing After Canthoplasty, What Should I do?

I had a canthoplasty on my left eyelid and canthopexy on the rightJuly 2011. The right eyelid healed fine.The left is still not healed, and despite multiple injections of kenalog as well as a cyst removal in September, te eylid still has not resolved. I keep getting bumps, they are itchy and red. Oe goes away, another takes its place. I am now worried as I have visited an opthamologist, another plastic surgeon and general care doctor, and no one seems to be able to identify what is going on!

Healing after canthoplasty

+1
A cyst after canthoplasty may be entirely separate from your scar healing issue or it could be related. Was this mass biopsied? It could be an infectious process but this would be elucidated by a pathology report. It's difficult to comment intelligently based on the lmited amount of information provided but I would not rule out MRSA, especially if you are female and have fingernail extensions. You may need to add an infectious disease specialist to your list of consultants and certainly it would be wise to see an oculoplastic specialist.

Slow healing

+1

As your surgery was in July of 2011,  I would expect things to be healed pretty well 8 months later.  Could there be a chronic slow growing infection in the area?  Has it been cultured?  Sometimes a biopsy is even necessary (could there be a small skin cancer in the area?).  Without a photograph it is hard to say, but an opinion from an ASOPRS trained oculoplastic surgeon as noted before would be in your best interest.  Make sure you take all of your records, operative notes, and treatment notes with you at your visit. 

Good luck.

Jasmine Mohadjer, MD
Clearwater Oculoplastic Surgeon

At this point a second opinion is an appropriate option.

+1

Listen, things happen.  Sometimes it is simply a matter of running out of patience with your surgeon.  This can happen because things that seem like a small matter to a surgeon, really bother patients. So the go slow, let things heal approach does not always provide enough reassurance.  When this happens, a second opinion is very appropriate.  I recommend that you specifically see one or two fellowship trained oculoplastic surgeons.  The American Society for Ophthalmic Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery maintains a geographic directory on its website that will help you find good surgeons in your area (asoprs dot org).  Good luck.