If an Eyelid Has Been Cut Too High with Residual Ptosis, Can It Be Repaired?

Dont forget about the brow!

+4

It is likely that both can be corrected with the same procedure, but is very important to evaluate brow position before performing another blepharoplasty as you will quite likely need your lateral hood addressed.  I wouldbe happy to comment if you post pictures.

Rian A. Maercks M.D.

Please send pictures

+2
The correction of the ptosis can be done in combination with cosmetic eye surgery. Please send pictures with your eyes closed ,open and fully open. You can Aldo see a board certified plastic surgeon.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Residual ptosis after eyelid surgery

+2

While I certainly agree with my colleague, Dr. Steinsapir, that it may be difficult to lower an incision which was made too high, it is not impossible to do so.  It would be far easier to offer advise if you posted photos of yourself.  Since you did not, I would agree with the advice of seeking an opinion from an oculofacial plastic surgeon.  You can locate one in your area from the ASOPRS website.

Lawrence Kass, MD
Saint Petersburg Oculoplastic Surgeon

This is one of the more favorable situations.

+2

It is very difficult to lower a crease.  However, then the eyelid is ptotic or droopy, correcting the ptosis effectively shortens the upper eyelid platform and can make the crease height appear shorter.  A personal consultation with an oculoplastic surgeon experienced with this sort of correction is needed to confirm that you are a candidate for such a repair.

Upper lid incision is too high

+1

Without skin laxity it can be difficult to lower an incision in the upper lid. Most often we will place the incision in the the lid fold where it is very difficult to see as the eye is open. In the case of true lid ptosis the lid fold may appear high because of the remaining droop in the lid, and may not be a problem with the incision proper. Correcting the ptosis may even the lids and hide the scar.

peterejohnsonmd

Ptosis of upper lid, upper lid scar.

+1

Upper eyelid surgery is usually very successfull, but on rare occasion the  levator muscle which elevates the upper lid as it attaches to the tarsal plate of the upper lid may be weakened or partially separated.  The end result of this is to see a ptosis of the upper lid, which means that the lid will droop when compared to the oppisite eyelid.  This deformety can be repaired by itself, or be repaired with more esthetic eyelid surgery.  This type of surgery is usually very successfull. Both procedures can be performed as  an outpatient .

The location for the upper eyelid scar can be varied somewhat.   The  patient would have to be examined to see what the possibilities might be for the patient.  Please call your Plastic Surgeon for a professional opinion.

Good luck.

Francis (Frank) William Rieger, MD