Since Using Eyelash Extensions and Growth Serums, my Eyelashes Have Become Sparse and Short. How Can I Get Them to Grow Back?

A couple years ago, wanting to go mascara-free, I tried lash extensions for the first time. When I had them removed two months later, my once thick, long lashes were sparse and short. Trying LiLash my lashes grew very long, but after about 5 months they all fell out! Since then, I have looked for other serums (without prostaglandins) to get my original healthy lashes back but nothing seems to work. I would like to know what went wrong and how I can get my lashes back. Did I do permanent damage?

Eyelashes can take months to grow back.

+1
Eyelashes can take months to grow back. Latisse will help to grow long full lashes if used as indicated. However, if Latisse does not work you will want to be assessed in case something else has caused your lashes to fall out. 

Lash regrowth

+1

Thank you for your question. The use of false lashes can sometimes damage the follicles, it may take awhile for them to recover. In the mean time I would recommend trying Latisse, make sure you use one full month as indicated; once your lashes have reached the length and thickness you want them you can switch to using it 2 to 3 times per week to maintain them.

-Best wishes

Pablo Prichard, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Latisse for damaged lashes

+1

i would try latisse as well.  The response rate is very high.  Once your lashes are back where you want them, you can go to using it 2-3 times a week to maintain the improvement.  Best to you.

Jacqueline Calkin, MD
Sacramento Dermatologic Surgeon

Looking for Lashes

+1

Hello! I hope your eyes are otherwise okay after the lash extension episode! It probably means that the glue was not meant for your eye! I think that the Latisse product is SO MUCH SAFER than eyelashes attached to your face with superglue....there really is no comparison.

To safely get your lashes back, try Latisse. You won't be unhappy. If you don't believe me.? Find someone with glaucoma who get this product to treat their condition ( into the eye, not the lashes in this case). Look into their eyes.....and notice their  BEAUTIFUL EYELASHES!!!

Beverly Johnson, MD
Silver Spring Dermatologist

+1

Latisse will most likely work for you after just 2-3 weeks. Latisse will make the lashes longer and thicker. You will use Latisse every night.

Kurtis Martin, MD
Cincinnati Plastic Surgeon

After eyelash extensions my lashes are sparse and short, why?

+1

Often times the glue from eyelash extensions damage the lashes, causing them to be short and sparse when they are taken off. Sometimes, the glue and tearing can actually damage the follicle making it impossible for that area to regrow lashes; other times it's just a short-term thing. Latisse is the only FDA approved eyelash serum proven to grow active follicles longer, thicker, and darker. No other serum available has gone through the same extensive testing and reporting. If you want to try Latisse you can. If the areas don't regrow, unfortunately, your lash extensions may have irrevocably damaged the follicles.

"This answer has been solicited without seeing this patient and cannot be held as true medical advice, but only opinion. Seek in-person treatment with a trained medical professional for appropriate care."

F. Victor Rueckl, MD

How to get eyelashes to grow back

+1

As long as your hair follicles are not permanently damaged and the eyelash hairs are able to grow, Latisse would be your best choice at this time. Latisse works by increasing the amount of time each eyelash hair remains in the growing phase so this will help you find out if you did any permanent damage. The application of Latisse has also been scientifically proven to increase the thickness of eyelash hair as well as the darkness of each hair so this will also help with the healthy hairs that are remaining. At present, Latisse is the only FDA approved treatment for growing eyelashes.

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon