Eyebrows Transplant

I am thinking of getting a hair transplant for my right eyebrow which became sparse after an accident, but I would really like to know if, with time, the new hair may grow slower and avoid trimming. I have read recipient dominance". Is it true? Any evidence? Thank you so much!

Eyebrow Transplantation

+1

Eyebrow transplantation consists of the dermal extraction of hair follicles –which are genetically resistant to thinning- located on the posterior scalp between the ears, and the dermal transplantation of these follicles on the site where you want eyebrow hairs to grow. The transplanted eyebrow hairs do not fall off, and the result is permanent.

Eyebrow transplantation is actually a kind of hair transplantation. Hair follicles are used in eyebrow transplantation. Eyebrows are made to grow by transplanting hairs in the place of eyebrow hairs.

Similar to hair transplantation, two methods can be used in eyebrow transplantation in order to extract hair follicles. These methods are FUT and FUE.

FUT method is not generally preferred in eyebrow transplantation operations. This method requires an incision on the posterior scalp and sutures. The thin but permanent scar it leaves is the most important disadvantage of this method.

On the other hand, hair follicles are individually extracted from the posterior scalp by the FUE eyebrow transplantation without making any incisions or sutures. This procedure leaves no permanent scars.

Turkey Plastic Surgeon

Eyebrow Transplant and Leg Hair

+1

Eyebrow transplant is a viable option for someone with permanent eyebrow loss. This technology has come a long way in recent years, and while head hair transplanted to the eyebrow will still grow at its innate speed and length (which would require frequent trimming), there are other donor options available in the care of advanced FUE practitioners. I have had success with transplanting leg hair using the uGraft. Since leg hair is of a similar disposition to eyebrow hair, including curvature, length, and growth rate, it is ideal, in selected cases, to use for eyebrow transplantation. Another favorable reason is that leg hair requires less frequent trimming, and with FUE uGraft, scarring is typically minimal.  Where leg hair is not available or suitable, I have used nape hair for similar reasons.

Sanusi Umar, MD
Redondo Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Eyebrow Transplants

+1

Eyebrow hair transplants have evolved to a very elegant procedure with very pleasing results for both men and women.  While its possible that in some cases the hair growth will slow down when transplanted the vast majority of patients will have to trim the brows.  Find a hair transplant surgeon you trust to discuss further.  Good luck!

Hannah Vargas, MD
Kansas City Facial Plastic Surgeon

Eyebrow Transplant

+1

With time the hair transplanted to the eyebrow area will thin slightly and begin to grow slower. However our experience after many years and a great number of eyebrow transplantation proceedures is that you will have to continue some degree of trimming for most of your life.

Richard Galitz, MD, FACS
Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

Eyebrow hair grafting

+1

Hair grafting to the  eyebrow is certainly possible, and often the hairs do well to conceal a given loss of natural eyebrow hairs as you have discussed .  There is a tendency for the hairs to grow as if they were still from the scalp, however, and not from the eyebrow.  There is also a pattern of insertion of the grafted follicles that will need to be followed to resemble the eyebrow ..  The grafts can not be put in at all the same angles, because eyebrow hairs grow in a more scattered pattern.  Burned skin does not usually have as good a circulation pattern for the vessels below the skin, and this may cause some of the grafts to not survive, but most will fortunately.  Be sure that your Plastic Surgeon has  a very competent team of technicians for doing this type of surgery, because in the right hands it can be very successful.

Good luck to you.

Frank Rieger M.D.  Tampa Plastic Surgeon

Francis (Frank) William Rieger, MD

Eyebrow transplant

+1

If scalp hair is to be transplanted to the eyebrwos it has to have the same texture and curl as the the eyebrow. Some people do not have this match, Also, although there is some recipient dominence changes to the hair, it grows more like scalp hair when transplanted to the brow area and needs to be trimmed periodically. If you are female, try eyebrow tatooing first. It might give good cosmetic coverage and transplants canalways be done later to give a third dimension effect.

Sheldon S. Kabaker, MD
Oakland Facial Plastic Surgeon

Growth of eyebrow hairs after transplant

+1

In our experience, the transplanted hairs which have been taken from the scalp (just above and behind the ear) tend to grow like scalp hair.  You will have hair, but you will need to tend to it/groom & shape it much more often than the eyebrow hairs you used to have. 

Allan J. Parungao, MD
Oak Brook Plastic Surgeon

Eyebrow Transplantation

+1

Having performed over 500 eyebrow transplants, I can tell you that the hairs will continue to grow just like if they were in the scalp, requiring once or twice monthly trimming

Jeffrey Epstein, MD, FACS
Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon