I Had an Eyebrow Transplant and at Day 3 I Picked a Scab, the Hair Fell Out. Will the Hair Grow Back?

On Day 3 the grafts may or may not have "taken"

On Day 3 the grafts may or may not have "taken" so if you pulled out the hairs with some tissue it may not grow back.  The first 1 to 3 days after surgery are considered the most critical and the easiest time to dislodge a graft.

Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Will have to wait to see

The root becomes secure after approximately one week. Before that, there is an increasing chance it won't "take". At three days there is maybe a 50-/50 chance that specific hair will grow. You will know in a few months.

Christopher J. Peers, MD
South Bend Facial Plastic Surgeon

What to Expect After Eyebrow Transplant

Transplants typically take root within 72 hours, but aren’t completely secured until 7 to 10 days post-surgery. This means that they can still be dislodged up until that time. It sounds like you picked the scab at a point when the follicle may or may not have already taken root. Thus, it might grow, or it might have been lost. Only time will tell.

Sanusi Umar, MD
Redondo Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Eyebrow transplant

If the follicule came out with the scab which is possible at day three than the transplant is lost. If just the hair was lost but the follicule stayed inbeded than you will grow a new hair and the transplant is fine. Only time will tell.

Eyebrow Loss Day #3

Day three is a little troubling.  Many people experience some shedding of the grafts and scabs around day 7 and by then most of the healing under the surface of the skin has occurred.  But day #3?  For sure if you told me day #1 you pulled a scab with hair I would tell you probably lost a hair and the same thing for day #2.  If it was day #5 or #6, then you're most likely OK. But day#3? You probably lost that one, but nothing is certain here and you won't know for sure for several months once the real growth begins and if that's the case, you can make a determination then if the graft needs replacing.

Good luck with this.

Dr John Frank, MD

John E. Frank, MD
New York Hair Restoration Surgeon