Eyebags Since Young Age- Is Surgery A Long-Term Solution?

I have bags under my eyes since I was a child. Now when I'm almost 40 it really makes me look older than I am. I was wondering, if under eye bags are hereditary, can the surgery be a long term solution? How long the effect would may last? Also I am curious if I can drive myself home after an upper and lower eyelid surgery?

Baggy Lower Eyelids

+1

This can be remedied by performing a 5-step blepharoplasty and blending the eyelid/cheek junction. One should consult a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon with experience and expertise in this area.

Eyebags- long term solution

+1

The bags underneath the eyelids are due to fat pads that have herniated out of 3 fat compartments in the lower lids.  This can occur at a younger age and even into the 30s.  It is important to make sure that there is no preexisting thyroid or allergy issues that is exacerbating protrusion of the fat bags on the lower lids.  Surgery is a long-term solution, which can last approximately 10-15 years. Blepharoplasty surgery is performed under a general anesthesia and the patient will feel hung-over, so they will need someone to drive them home and care for them for the first day after the procedure.  The blepharoplasty procedure itself takes about an hour to perform and approximately 2 weeks to heal from the bruising and swelling.  

Eye bag surgery

+1

First, to answer the question of whether you can drive yourself home, even if you had surgery under straight local anesthesia, it would not be wise to drive yourself home afterwards.  You would need an adult to take you home.  I know that more and more people live alone these days far from family members and don't want to inconvenience their friends during the work week. In that eventuality, I recommend a limo service to insure that my patient is escorted to his or her door and prescribe any medications in advance of surgery so these can be on hand. 
The bags under your eyes can certainly be treated surgically.  The 40's are the point in which many patients feel that the bags detract from their appearance and consider surgery.  Obviously, people age differently and genetics plays a part in how and when facial aging occurs.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Surgery to correct eyebags

+1

Genetics and anatomy would be the key playes here.  Yunger patients with lower eyelid bags tend to be more likely to have less bone support under the eye area (malar hypoplasia).  Removing or transposing the bags could be beneficial, just make sure you are not at a risk of getting hollowed out, and know that the surgery will not last forever in the future you might get more fat to protrude.

Robert Schwarcz, MD
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Bags under the eye

+1

It is not uncommon to have puffy lower (or upper ) eyelids early on due to heredity. So at age 40 one may well look older, tired. Blepharoplasty isw a good choice. Recovery is relatively fast and almost pain free. Duration of the results varies widely but not uncommon to last 12-15 years. One will have to have someone drive to and from the surgical facility as the anesthesia used (conscious sedation) would not allow full control of faculties for 24 hrs.

Andrew Pichler, MD
Sacramento Facial Plastic Surgeon

Blepharoplasty (eyelid "tuck") is a long-term solution to lower eyelid "bags"

+1

Blepharoplasty (eyelid "tuck") is a long-term solution to lower eyelid "bags". The specifics of what approach and the surgical technique depends greatly upon the actual cause of the "bags" that you refer to. I prefer to perform lower eyelid surgery under "twilight" anesthesia. Therefore, you would need an adult to pick you up after the procedure and take you home. This is typically a long-term solution (10 years or more).

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Repositioning of the Lower Eyelid Fat Provides Natural Results

+1

Repositioning the bulging fat of the lower eyelid rather than removing the lower eyelid fat is a techniqueI prefer, as removing the orbital fat can eventually cause hollowing under the eye in some people. This technique involves a transconjunctival incision (a hidden incision on the back side of the lower eyelid), and if necessary, a small pinch excision of skin.

I have performed this lower eyelid procedure in very young people who have congenital weakness of the membrane (orbital septum) of the lower eyelid which usually restrains the fat from bulging. When I re-position the fat, I drape the bulging fat over the lower bony rim to give the eyes a soft natural appearance. I have not seen any bumps or abnormal healing with the repositioned fat, as is sometimes the case with fat grafting around the eyes.

I do not recommend that patients drive themselves home after any important eye surgery.

Edward Szachowicz, MD, PhD
Minneapolis Facial Plastic Surgeon

Bags Under Lower Lids Since Young Age

+1

Protruding fat bags under your eyes may be hereditary, especially if you have had them since a young age.  The eyeball sits on a bed of fat, which is held in place by a membrane called the septum.  As this septum becomes lax (which occurs naturallly with age), the fat starts to bulge out (picture someone sitting on a hammock - the septum acts like the hammock, and as it gets worn, it bulges more).  There are many strategies to addrssing this.  If the bulding is mild, the area under the bulge, called the "tear trough", is usually what becomes apparent.  The tear trough may be camouflages with a filler such as Juvederm.  As the bulging becomes more pronounced, however, surgery is usually required to either remove some of the excess fat that is bulgling, or else reposition it so it is not longer apparent.  Long term, the surgery works very well.

Gary D. Breslow, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

Eyelid surgery in the forties

+1

the forties is a very normal time to have something like this done. if you look back at the high school yearbook picture of many patients having this operation done at your age you will see the beginning of it. done at your age it should be basically permanent. if you are having this done along with lid surgery it will almost surely be done with some form of sedation you really don't want to be driving yourself.

Sherwood Baxt, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

+1

There are patients that have true lower eyelid fat bags in their teens and early twenties.  The only permanent solution, IMHO, is the surgical removal of the fat bags through a lower eyelid surgery called Blepharoplasty.  I prefer using the transconjunctival approach that hides the incisions on the inside of the lower eyelids.