Eyebags- I Don't Want Fillers in my Face or Surgery- off Label Can Ultheraphy Work to Reduce the Appearance of Eyebags?

I do not want any form of fillers in my face or surgery , I just want to tighten the skin to improve the appearance of eyebags. Off label can Ultherapy be effective on reducing the appearance of eyebags? I will not consider surgery so please no suggestions of that kind all other suggestion are very welcome. :)

Ultherapy is not effective in removing or reducing lower eyelid bags

+1

Eyelid bags might be collections of fluid from allergies, sinus problems, festoons from aging, or herniations of the fat pads of the eye area. Ultherapy is not expected to help any of these conditions and the applicators do not fit this confined space well. Pelleve, a radiofrequency device, can fit better but the results are not guaranteed to improve the appearance of the bags and certainly won't, if it's the fat herniation type. Surgical blepharoplasty is the most efficient and cost-effective method to remove or replace the fat of the eyelid that causes the "bags" we see.

The information provided in Dr. Shelton's answer is for educational purposes only and is not intended to constitute medical advice.  The information provided should not be relied upon as a substitute for consultations with a qualified health professional who may be familiar with your individual medical needs.

Ulthera is Not for Undereye Bags

+1

Because Ulthera works by tightening collagen beneath the skin to reduce sagging skin and wrinkles, it does not fix problematic undereye bags. These problematic features are caused by fad pads beneath the eyes, and can only be altered by either filling the surrounding troughs with a filler substance, or removing them via blepharoplasty surgery. 

Cameron Rokhsar, MD

Ultherapy for under-eye bags

+1

Ultherapy is an ultrasonic skin lifting and tightening device. It can be used to treat lines and bags under the eyes. Ultherapy now offers 3 different depths of treatment. It can go 4.5 mm, 3.0 mm, and 1.5mm below the surface of the skin. At these depths, the device places 1mm wide high frequency ultrasound waves that turn into heat and damage tissues. The damaged tissues are replaced with new collagen and cells, causing tightening and lifting. The results take 2-3 months. There can be some temporary swelling and bruising associated. Otherwise, it is completely non-invasive.

In my experience (only about 6 months with the device), I have seen great results for the jawline, plumbing cheeks, lifting brow lines, and smoothing lines. HOWEVER, for under eye, I think patients will need 2-3 treatments over about a year for good results.

Also, if what you have is herniation of the fat pads, then I don't think that ultherapy will give super great results. You can't go past the orbital rim (bony rim) under the eyes - so it can't reach these fat pads. But, if you are absolutely opposed to surgery - I think it is worth it to try ultherapy.

Jennifer Reichel, MD
Seattle Dermatologic Surgeon

Avoid Ulthera and other marketed devices in the face!!! There are much better options for undereye bags

+1

using energy and heat modalities including ultrasound and radiofrequency near the eyes is not a good idea.  Even the "laser lift" that some people market as a noninvasive eyeliftalmost always results in unpleasant complications.  The ageing lower lid is not simply the result of excess or loose skin, There is also a loss of strong stuctural support that is essential for proper eyelid function and aesthetics.  The noninvasive energy modalities certainly reduce wrinklies and can tighten the skin but at the price of lagophthalmos and scleral show. What this means is that when the soft tissue is tightened, the weak support can not hold against the forces of contraction and your lower lid gets pulled down giving the patient a hound dog look.  Some patients that receive these treatments are happy despite these findings but I personally find the results unacceptable and will not treat lower lids this way in general.  Of course the best result would be from a well executed blepharoplasty and this is not what you are interested in.

My advise to you is to rethink the filler option.  I have a somewhat different take on fillers than you may be used to and get very natural results using a technique that I calll Aesthetic Facial Balancing.  I released a video last week explaining how this works.  I think this is your best option to treat your concerns and avoid surgery.  There really are no shortcuts and I strongly advise against Ulthera treatments anywhere!  It gets very expensive for minimal results or even worse bad complications.  I hope this helps!

Rian A. Maercks M.D.

Rian A. Maercks, MD

Ultherapy for baggy eyelids

+1

Usually Ultherapy can be used to improve baggy eyelids.  It will depend on your unique situation though.

The Ulthera works by tightening tissue so if your problem is related to loose skin and muscle, the Ultherapy can help.  If your eyelids are baggy because of big fat pockets, you are probably better off with surgery.

Suresh Koneru, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Under eye Ultherapy

+1

I would agree with what Dr. Ishoo said previously.  Depending on the severity and the nature of the lower eyelid, Ultherapy may or may not be helpful.  In some cases, surgery is the only true option, and sometimes injectable fillers can help.  But, if you are not willing to undergo an invasive procedure, Ultherapy may offer some possible benefit.  It will take a consultation to elucidate what procedures may be appropriate, and what the expected benefits may be.  Good luck!

Deborah Pan, MD
New Haven Plastic Surgeon

Ultherapy to improve undereye appearance

+1

It would be much more helpful to have at least pictures to evaluate before this questions can be answered with any degree of relevance. Ultherapy is frequently performed for periorbital tightening and this is not necessarily off lable; however, without knowing anything about your specific condition, it is not possible to answer this question. I would suggest seeking an in person consultation with an Ultherapy provider near you.

Edwin Ishoo, MD
Brookline Facial Plastic Surgeon