Are fillers recommended for under eye wrinkles? (photo)

Hello, I am 28 and have smile lines under my eyes. I get botox/dysport for my crows feet (every 3 months) and this does reduce the appearance of the line but I find by 8 weeks or so it has worn off. It doesn't totally remove the line but it softens it which I like. Are fillers recommended for this area or will it give me that chipmunk look? What about laser? Or should I just continue my botox and make the appointments closer together? Thanks in advance!

Fillers for Fine Lines Under Eyes?

+1
This is a very common question at my practice. Treating dynamic wrinkles such as crow's feet with a neurotoxin is effective, but I would advise against using them for the static fine lines you have under your eyes. Fillers may help, but their effects are temporary. One of the options I have for my patients is ResurFX laser skin resurfacing, which isn't as aggressive as some other fractional lasers. Make sure the treatment is done by a board-certified physician who specializes in laser treatments.

Tucson Dermatologic Surgeon

Fillers for lines under the eyes

+1
The dynamic crow's feet lines will improve with Botox but the static lines will not change. Fractional or conventional laser resurfacing will be a better option for these types of lines. Fillers on the other hand may cause visible lumps or irregularity for the area. 

Fillers will however help fill and improve the tear trough.

Somyos Kunachak, MD
Thailand Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lines around The Eyes

+1
Fine lines around and under the eye are best treated with neurotoxin, which will wear off in +/- 8-12 weeks after injection and will need to be constantly redone and kept up.  Fraxel laser and or TCA peels can help keep the lines smooth, along with topical retinol/vitamin A or vitamin C creams.  You should seek the advice of a cosmetic dermatologist or plastic surgeon with experience in treating the periocular area.  Fillers can be injected into the upper cheek area and lateral eyebrow to help re-shape the eye area, but don't work well for the fine lines.  I wish you the best of luck, Dr. Emer.

Fine lines around eyes

+1
Fine lines around eyes are usually not treated with filler material. Sometimes Botox does the trick but it depends upon the area. Fillers are best for tear troughs or depressions int he lower lid cheek junction. Fine lines may be treated with lasers.

Treatment of under-eye wrinkles

+1
There are many effective treatments for improving under eye-wrinkles. Hyaluronic acid fillers such as Restylane or Belotero can be quite effective. Creams containing human growth factors can also be very helpful. In my office we have had a good deal of success treating under eye wrinkles with micro-needling combined with human growth factor serums.
You can follow the video link above to learn more about micro-needling and human growth factor serums.

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

Under Eye Wrinkles-Filler

+1
That is a great question!  I am asked that question on a daily basis in my office.  I recommend you continue the Botox/Dysport.  And if done in the proper hands, filler can give you great results in this area.  

I also recommend you have an excellent skincare regime.  Hydration in this area will improve fine lines.

I recommend you see a dermatologist or plastic surgeon who specializes in these treatments.

Dr. Daniel Radin, Dermatologist, Windsor,Ontario, Canada

Daniel Radin, MD
Windsor Dermatologist

Fillers are the best Treatment for the Tear Troughs

+1
The area of the mid lower eyelid to the nose is known as the tear troughs. With time, fat in that area is lost. Once that happens, the best treatment to get rid of the hollowness/dark circles of the area is to introduce a bit of fillers. In the US, the only FDA approved filler that may be injected there safely without the risk of developing the bluish hue known as the Tyndall effect is Belotero. In most other countries, there is another filler, known as Teosyal Redensity II that has been tailor made to be safely injected that area with no problems. Swelling and bruising may occur, but last no more than 2 weeks. 

Hassan Galadari, MD
Dubai Dermatologist

Botox for Eye Area

+1
Botox is great for the eye area known as the crow's feet.  However, more frequent touch-ups may be necessary since this is an area which has a lot of facial movement.  A small amount of Belotero can also help make the under eye area look better and less wrinkled and make the eye area look better for a longer period of time.  The lines under the eyes can also be improved by eMatrix which is a radiofrequency laser for the under eye area.  Also, strict sun avoidance, sunscreen, and sunglasses all help keep the eye area looking younger.

Michele S. Green, MD