One Eye at a Time?

I was told by a plastic surgeon that medicare will cover the surgery for my upper eyelids but I will need to have one eye done at a time (a week apart) so that insurance will cover it. Is this normal procedure do you know? Thanks

Medicare eyelid

+3

The surgeon gets paid more if one is done at a time. We normally don't put our patients through two different surgeries because we think the chance for symmetry is better if both procedures are done together.

Fresno Oculoplastic Surgeon

Do both eyes together

+2

There is no medical reason for doing one eyelid at a time. I have not encountered the issue where medicare will cover only one eye at a time. Your best option is to call Medicare and ask them directly. Regards, Dr. J Disclaimer: This answer is not intended to give a medical opinion and does not substitute for medical advice. The information presented in this posting is for patients’ education only. As always, I encourage you to see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Tanveer Janjua, MD
Bedminster Facial Plastic Surgeon

One Eye at a Time

+2

Thank you for your question. Most surgeons will operate on both upper eyelids at the same time because it will improve the results of surgery. Specifically, it will improve your chance at symmetry while limiting the patient to just 1 surgery.

Lisa M. DiFrancesco, MD

Two stage upper eyelid repair

+2

I do not think, with the information that you have given, that there is a medically necessary reason for dividing up the procedures.  If you have some type of medical condition that places you at a higher risk for complications then this may be considered.  If you believe that this is not in your best interest then it may be time for a second opinion.  

Upper blepharoplasty

+1

We have  always performed upper eyelid surgery together on both eyelids  under one anesthesia  and one surgical setting. There is no reason to have 2 surgeries. Might be best to check with her insurance carrier as well.