Is Under Eye Swelling Normal After Upper Lid Surgery?

I had upper eyelid blepharoplasty 2 weeks ago my swelling in lids is almost gone but I have quite a bit of swelling under the eyes like I now have festoons is this normal? What can I do to resolve the under eye swelling?

Normal swelling after upper eyelid surgery

+1

Soft tissue swelling seeks the path of least resistance.  It is not unusual to have swelling of the lower eyelids and bruising of the lower eyelids after an upper eyelid blepharoplasty.  Light massage and alternating warm and cool compresses can help with this swelling and briusing

Swelling after upper lid blepharoplasty

+1

Hi, don't worry, the swelling will get better. After upper eyelid surgery because of gravity, swelling can temporarily settle in the lower eyelids by the orbital rim. Things you can do to speed the swelling to resolve are arnica, limit salt intake, and limit activities which elevate your blood pressure. Most of all be patient. It will take time to see the final result, but it will be worth it.

Web reference: http://www.lakeshoreplasticsurgery.com

Lower eyelid swelling after upper eyelid surgery

+1

Gravity causes swelling that begins in the upper eyelids to descend and reveal itself in the lower eyelids.  Have patience; it will go away with time.  You can help to a degree by limiting salt in your diet and avoiding heavy exercise until the swelling resolves.

Swelling around eyes

+1

It is very common to have swelling after a blepharoplasty. The swelling should improve with time.

Lower Eyelid Festoons after Upper Eyelid Blepharoplasty

+1

The swelling of your lower eyelids after the upper eyelid procedure is normal.  The swelling is just settling with gravity into the lower lids.  The things that you can do are icing, elevation, and allowing for time to let the swelling resolve.

+1

Actually swelling in the lower lid is quite typical after upper eyelid rejuvenation. Gravity will take it to the lower lid, and ice and elevation will help it resolve.

Web reference: http://www.peterejohnsonmd.com/eyelid-surgery

Lower lid swelling after upper lid blepharoplasty

+1

Lower eyelid swelling and even brusing is usual after upper eyelid procedures because of gravitational forces.  These changes usually resolve in a few weeks after the procedure. Cold compresses are more helpful in the first two weeks after surgery and my help a little now.  Be patient as the swelling resolves.

Web reference: http://josephtogbamd.com

Oakland Plastic Surgeon

Swelling Normal After Upper Lid Surgery

+1

Yes, swelling under the eyes can be normal after an upper blepharoplasty. The reason for your swelling under the eye is most likely associated with a small amount of your upper lid edema (swelling) gravitating downward. Although lying in an upright position is recommended after quite a few facial procedures, it can also be the culprit of your swelling. Continue to sleep in this upright position until your doctor advises that it is okay to lie regularly. It will slowly dissipate as it keeps gravitating down and should resolve on its own within 1 - 2 weeks.

"Dr.D"

Web reference: http://www.capefearaesthetics.com/details/plastic+surgery-19/

Fayetteville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Eyelid swelling after surgery

+1

It is not uncommon to get some swelling around the eyes after blepharoplasty (eyelid surgery).  Even though you only had upper eyelid surgery, the swelling normally travels downward as it subsides.  So, it is not unusual to have some swelling in the lower eyelids after upper eyelid surgery.  Generally, this should resolve in a few weeks after the surgery.  

San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon