What to Do About Festoons Left After 2 Eyelid Surgeries?

I have had under eye surgery twice to remove festoons. Neither worked. Now what? I am only 41 and had my first surgery at 35 on both the upper and lower lids. I am still happy with the upper lids but the lower lids did not look like anything had been done at all. So, after waiting four years (and a year wait after consult) I had another surgeon perform surgery on the lower festoons but again, no positive results. He is determined to do what he can for me, but really, what is there left to do? Am I doomed? And for the record, they are bad.

Festoons

+1

this may sound very "old school" but my retired partner used to directly excise the bag with excellent results. be forewarned a scar remains but usually much better then the luggage under an eye. your problem is you are so young no one may be willing to consider this option. IMHO it works and i have not been disappointed with the results. obviously this is a last resort. so try everything else first. good luck.

Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Festoons under eyelids

+1

Festoons are difficult to treat, Patients have had them cauterized on the underside or laser treatments with varying resullts. Sleeping with the head elevated may help. Reconginze that surgery to fix this may have a lower success rate than a standard blepharoplasty.

Chris Thiagarajah, MD
Washington DC Oculoplastic Surgeon

It’s very hard to get rid of festoons

+1

It’s very hard to get rid of festoons (areas of fluid accumulation). Physicians have used Thermage over them or radio frequency underneath them and sometimes surgical extraction. Sometimes it’s better if you lessen the salt in your diet. Some people find that sleeping on 2 pillows is helpful. It really depends on the reason for festoons. But, they can be difficult. You want to make sure that you don’t have thyroid disease or any other eye or systemic disease that would cause you to retain water as that may be part of it.

Joseph A. Eviatar, MD, FACS
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon