I Am Considering Eye Surgery to Correct Droopiness and Asymmetry of my Eyes.

I am a 31 year old male and would like to know from the picture provided what procedure would I require to correct these problems and if surgery could provide good results given the degree of asymmetry. Thanks David

I Am Considering Eye Surgery to Correct Droopiness and Asymmetry of my Eyes

+2

Hello Dublin.  It certainly looks like you have eyelid assymetry in the form of ptosis and asymmetric eyelid creases, but the picture you provided is not good enough to give a surgical recommendation.  A complete exam by a competent eyelid specialist is necessary for that surgical recommendation.

Web reference: http://www.neweyelids.com/

Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Eyelid Surgery for Asymmetry

+2

Your photo appears to show asymmetry of upper eyelid skin, but perhaps brow position, as well. 

You may see improvement with removing some of the "extra" skin of the right upper eyelid. (Keep it simple!)

Please be aware:

• No one is perfectly symmetric
  • Perfect symmetry is unachievable
    • Striving for perfect symmetry will be disappointing and frustrating
  • Brow position changes with expression
    • Many people have asymmetric brow and eyelid position
    • Brow motion is commonly asymmetric

Web reference: http://www.drzwiebel.com

Denver Plastic Surgeon

Surgery to correct droopiness and asymmetry of eyes

+1

Asymmetrical eyelids are a very common occurrence when we perform eyelid surgery. The asymmetry can be caused from several anatomical considerations such as fatty deposits in the medial and middle compartments of the upper lids as well as the actual height of the crease. Most people have one eyebrow slightly lower than the other, which compounds this issue. When performing a blepharoplasty, asymmetrical surgery can be performed whereby more fatty deposits are taken out of the fullness and droopy side and a minimal amount of skin and fat is taken out of the more normal side. This creates a more symmetrical look.  

Web reference: http://www.seattlefacial.com

Eyelid asymmetry

+1

I agree with what many of the surgeons have said, that your left upper eyelid appears to be ptotic (the eyelid falls lower on your eye).  The one thing that I notice that no one has commmented on is that your entire peri-orbita on the left (the soft tissues surrounding the eye) appears hypo-tonic, or is not as "toned" as the right side.  This makes the eyes look different, not just the upper eyelid.  I would recommend that you have a thorough evaluation by a surgeon who is very experienced in facial surgery, particularly of the eyes.  Good luck!

Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Eyelid ptosis

+1

It looks like you have ptosis (droopiness) of  your left upper eyelid based on your picture.  This can be fixed in a relatively straightforward fashion by a board - certified plastic surgeon.

Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Eye Surgery to Correct Droopiness and Asymmetry

+1

Without a physical exam it is difficult to tell exactly what's going on. You probably have some element of brow looseness and drooping which contributes to the upper eyelid access. You definitely need to have skin removed on the right. You probably need to have some skin removed on the left but this may be unnecessary with a brow lift. Various options for you include brow lift with right blepharoplasty, brow lift with bilateral blepharoplasty, right blepharoplasty alone, bilateral Presti alone. Consult board-certified plastic surgeon who is experienced infacial surgery to get an examination and the right option.

Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

You can get good results with surgical correction of your problem

+1

Dear Dublin,

From the photo, it looks like the simplest answer would be to remove the extra skin from your right upper lid (via upper Blepharoplasty). The photo is limited in that it does not show the full face so that the brows, eyes, and lids can be seen with the rest of the face. If you have some asymmetry of the brows (which can be seen to some degree on the magnified view), it can also cause or contribute to this appearance. It could just be the lighting associated with how the photo was taken, but there is a suggestion that the right eye protrudes slightly more than the left; this could be a factor for the appearance as well.  I do not think you have ptosis (drooping) of the lid itself because the lid margin positions look symmetric to me.

All that being said, a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon should be able to determine precisely which procedure would be best suited for your concerns. My feeling is that a simple Blepharoplasty is likely the answer. Good luck.

Best regards,

Lawrence Tong MD FACS FRCSC

Eye asymmetry

+1
Although the picture is not ideal, you appear to have ptosis (droop) of the left eyelid. This causes the lids to have different appearances. Consult a Plastic Surgeon with significant experience with eyelid problems or an ophthalmic plastic surgeon with cosmetic experience.
Highlands Plastic Surgeon

Challenging situation.

+1

Dear Dublin

It is important to understand that it is not just your eyelids that are asymmetric.  The right eye sits lower in the face than the left eye.  Yes eyelid surgery will be very helpful but it needs to be done with finesse.  What you will likely need is both ptosis surgery and upper blepharoplasty.  The important thing is leave an upper eyelid fold.  So you need a very experienced eyelid surgery and surgery needs to be very conservatively.

Web reference: http://www.lidlift.com/eyelid/examples/eyelid-01.html

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.