Looking for Doctor who Offers Under Eye Surgery (Blepharoplasty) w/o General Anesthesia?

Hi, I'm in the Los Angeles area and I am looking for a surgeon who specializes in lower blepharoplasty, who is willing to do the procedure without general anesthesia. I know of ONE a couple hours away that actually prefers only local anesthesia, but I'd prefer to do this closer to home.

+2

Hi Redondo Beach8701.  Blepharoplasty is commonly performed under local anesthesia and is very well tolerated in motivated patients.  It has the added benefit of saving the patient significant expense on the operating room and anesthesia fees. Oculoplastic surgeons have been doing this for years.  I have personally been performing Blepharoplasty this way for over 20 years.

Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Blepharoplasty Procedures under local anesthesia

+1

Local Anesthesia for Lower Eyelid, Blepharoplasty Procedures
Lower eyelid procedures can be done safely under local anesthesia with oral sedation, IV sedation or general anesthesia.  I use all these approaches safely and determination which method of anesthesia is best  is determined at the time of the initial consultation. Our office is about 45 minutes from LA

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Blepharoplasty w/o General Anesthesia

+1

Lower eyelid blepharoplasty is commonly done with either iv sedation or general anesthesia. The choice should be yours in conjunction with the physican and anesthesiologist.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Lower Lid Blepharoplasty without General Anesthesia

+1

I perform all of my lower eyelid surgeries without general anesthesia. I typically use a local anesthetic injection (numbing medication) along with some sort of conscious sedation or relaxing medicine. This can be done in the office using oral, or pill, relaxing medicine, or in a surgery center with an anesthesiologist using I.V. relaxing medicine. The setting depends on the comfort level of the patient, but typically is a very comfortable experience with a quick recovery and very high satisfaction level.

Gregory J. Vipond, MD, FRCSC
Inland Empire Facial Plastic Surgeon

Eyelid surgery

+1

Between local anesthesia and general anesthesia there is local anesthesia with some sedation.  For lower eyelid blepharoplasty I favor this type of anesthesia.  The amount of sedation can vary depending on your preferences and how you are doing during the procedure.  As your surgeon will be performing your surgery, it is safest to have an anesthesiologist or an anesthetist performing your anesthesia so they can focus on how your body is doing during the procedure.  Upper eyelid blepharoplasty is a different procedure and this can be performed under local anestheisa, in selected patients without sedation.

Paul Carniol, MD
Summit Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lower lid blepharoplasty without general anesthesia

+1

Lower lid blepharoplasty is rarely done under general anesthesia!  More commonly, it is done under local anesthetic with IV sedation as opposed to local anesthesia alone.  This is because when the tissue is manipulated under the skin of the lower lid, a person who only has local anesthetic, may feel pulling on the eye.  While not painful, this can be awkward and uncomfortable. In those patients who do not wish to have IV sedation, I offer sedative pills by mouth as another option.  You should be able to find many doctors in LA who offer these options. 

Michelle R. Yagoda, MD

Blepharoplasty and local anesthesia

+1
I would suggest doing the procedure with an anesthesiologist present and local anesthesia with a light IV sedation. I do all of my procedures in my fully accredited operating facility which allows the surgeon to use general, IV and local sedation under the ambulatory surgery guidelines for California. During the consultation phase the types of anesthesia provided are discussed and determined by the anesthesiologist, surgeon and patient as well as the particular procedure. With blepharoplasty surgery or lower eyelid surgery you should be perfectly comfortable and safe with a light sedation and local anesthesia. General anesthesia is typically used in blepharoplasty cases where there are multiple procedures being done, like facelift, brow lift etc. I am in Newport Beach and close to your location if you have any further questions you would like answered personally please feel free to contact me via my email or at the number listed by real self. Wishing you the best regards!

Michael Elam, MD

Eyelid surgery

+1

I have been performing plastic surgery for 20 years.  There has to be a comfort level for the patient, the surgeon and the anesthesiologist.  If all of the people involved are comfortable then the procedure will go well. 

Jay H. Ross, MD
Palm Harbor Plastic Surgeon

Local anesthesia and blepharoplasty.

+1

We have used both general or local anesthesia based on the patient's preference for 35 years. There is no difference in the end result.

No need for general anesthesia

+1

I don't know why anyone would use general anesthesia for eyelid surgery. It is not necessary. I do upper eyelids with local anesthesia alone, and lower with local and some intravenous sedation. Some doctors do lowers with only local injections. General anesthesia is not necessary.

Jeffrey Schiller, MD
Staten Island Oculoplastic Surgeon