Can Eye Size/shape Change over a Short Period of Time?

I always thought my eyes were relatively symmetrical, but a few weeks ago I noticed one is considerably bigger than the other. It could just a shape issue, but it leads me to ask can the shape of your eye change? I am only in my early 20's so it's not like my eyes are drooping or changing due to old age.

Changes in eye shape or size over short period of time

+1

Yes, indeed changes in the size and shape of eyelids can occur over a short period of time, but this is a very rare event usually due to orbital tumors or sinus related mucus seals. The more likely cause is that you have just now noticed that you have asymmetrical eyebrows and/or eyelids that have been there all along.

Acute Eye Asymmetry Requires Work Up to Rule Out Growth

+1

Hi Paranoid Boy,

You should consult with either an opthalmologist or an ENT physician.  Make sure that you have a MRI or CT scan of your orbits to make sure that there is not a growth that is causing the size of one eye to change its shape.  I would advise you to make this appointment ASAP.

Wishing you well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD

Eye shape

+1

Eye shape is always a bit different from one side to the other. I always point it out in consultation, because patients will always notice things more after surgery.

Droopy eyelid

+1

It is possible that you are developing droopy eyelid on one side, which can be due to many factors, such as contact lens wear.  More likely, you have had it for a long time and is now more pronounced.  Look at your photos when you were younger for this.

Mehryar (Ray) Taban, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon