Eye Won't Shut Completely After Lower Blepharoplasty, Can This Be Fixed?

I had a mid-facelift almost six months ago which included external incisions below the eyelids and canthopexy and now one eye does not shut completely when I blink. Is this caused by nerve damage and can it be fixed if so? My eyes look all right but this lack of function is a serious problem.

Eyelid closure problems answered by a DC oculoplastic surgeon

+1

That sounds like it could be nerve damage assuming you didn't have an eyelid surgery. I would check with whoever did your facelift and if it is a problem see an eyelid specialist to get it fixed. There is a nerve (facial nerve) which can be directly or indirectly damaged during a facelift. If so the patient can have trouble closing the eyes. Six months is usually a good time for function to return if the nerve is temporarily stunned. Sometimes we give up to a year for improvement if we are still noting changes. You may also want to make sure your eye is ok by asking your facelift surgeon an ophthalmologist you should see.

Washington DC Oculoplastic Surgeon