Surgery to Balance Eye Shape?

My left eye is noticeably bigger than the other, and it wasn't like this when I was younger because I've seen pictures. I noticed the big difference in my teens. The eye even looks weird and way more different than my right eye, especially in certain angles. I do wear glasses and it probably has to do with a vision problem that I have. So I was wondering, can surgery correct it by pushing it further in or anything to make it the same size as my right?

You appear to have a droopy left eyelid (ptosis).

+2

Maybe right and left are reversed in the photo, but you seem to have ptosis (pronounced "tosis") of your left upper eyelid.

You should consult a board certified ophthalmologist or oculoplastic surgeon to determine the cause, and to discuss possible repair. 

Good luck, and best regards.

West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Eye asymmetry

+2

Eye asymmetry is normal. Yes, I see from the photos that the left eye has a higher lid fold. This may be related to eyelid ptosis and its ability to raise your eye lid. Or it just may be normal differences between the two sides. It is best to be examined to make sure that this is not the case. If it is, then better symmetry can be achieved with surgery to correct this problem.

Personal consultation is needed to accurately assess your issues

+2

Dear Liz

It is interesting that you feel that your left eye is bigger than your right eye. What you are seeing is a larger left upper eyelid platform-the space between the upper eyelid lashes and the upper eyelid sulcus.

The real problem here is drooping of the left upper eyelid. This condition is called upper eyelid ptosis. It is likely that there is slippage of the left upper eyelid tendon insertion called the levator aponeurosis. Fixing this involves opening the eyelid and reattaching the insertion of this tendon. Interestingly when this is done fat is often brought done into the upper eyelid sulcus with this procedure helping to make the subbrow area look more full as well. Please recognize that it is possible that there may also be a degree of the same issue in the right upper eyelid.

This is assessed at the time of a detailed eye plastic surgery consultation. Because of the specialized nature of your problem, you are best seeking care with a fellowship trained eye plastic surgeon. The American Society of Ophthalmic Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery maintains a website that lists this specialists by region to assist you in finding someone: ASOPRS.org

Surgery can make eyes more symmetrical

+1

There are some very noticeable asymmetrical differences in both eyelids according to the picture that was shown. The small amount of ptosis on the patient’s left eye could be addressed by opening the eye more to partially be more symmetrical to the right eye. Additionally, fat grafting through the upper lid orbital sulcus can be performed to give more fullness. It is impossible to get both of these eyelids to be perfectly symmetrical.

Web reference: http://www.seattlefacial.com

Left eyelid ptosis

+1

As you can tell from the other answers, you appear to have a condition called "ptosis" (pronounced tosis) of the left upper lid.  Generally an ophthalmologist who specializes in eyelid surgery is best to fix this problem and make your eyes look more symmetrical. 

Ptosis of Upper Eyelid

+1

Hi LisaLatina,

You appear to have ptosis of your left upper eye lid.  You should consult with the best opthalmo-plastic surgeon you can find who has experience in ptosis correction.

When performed properly, the results are symmetric and beautiful.  Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Assymetry is common

+1

In nature there is no such thing a perfect symmetry. Just like it is common to have one breast larger than the other or one leg longer, this can happen with your facial skeleton. The boney orbit or eye socket, around your left eye is probably more shallow than the right one. Because you said this is something that you did not have when you were younger, there is a small chance that you have developed a slight degree of exopthalmus or prominence in this eye and you may want to be seen by an Ophthalmologist to rule this out. If your problem is just an cosmetic one, I would not recommend surgery. You have pretty eyes that are almost the same.

Changing Eye Shape

+1

The first step is to determine why your eyes are different shape, especially since you feel it has changed. You should be evaluated by a specialist in Oculoplastic surgery or Facial Plastic Surgery. There are many possible causes of the changes you are seeing--eyelid muscle weakness, changes in the size of the eyeball, changes in the bone of the eyesocket, tumors or growths in the eyesocket etc.

Evaluation may involve CT scans of the eyesocket or other testing. Treatment is entirely dependant on the diagnosis. I urge you to have this evaluated by a specialist as soon as possible.

Jackson Facial Plastic Surgeon

You need an exam by an ophthalmologist to evaluate eye asymmetry

+1

From your picture the upper lid shows more on the left side. The lid position looks normal on the eye so I do not think you have ptosis or a droopy eyelid.

Most likely the eye socket is larger on the left which allows the eyeball to sink in which allow the upper lid to drop down.

Alternatively the eyeball may be smaller or you may have enophthalmus a sinking in of the eyeball-there are many possible causes of this.

Coorective surgery is possible but an accurate diagnosis is necessary. An Ophthamolgist can examine you and decide whether the problem is the lid, the eye socket or eyeball. Then appropriate correction can be undertaken.

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.