I'm Seeing no Improvement 1 Week Post Eye Ptosis Surgery, Is there Hope it Will Improve? (photo)

Hi, I've started noticing my ptosis at the age of 6. Actually my parents friends started noticing, we didnt. And now at the age of 32 I decided to fix it. The doctor has told me that it is congenital and he will tighten the tendon and also remove a bit of eye lid skin. I just had my eye lid ptosis surgery 1week ago. The swelling and bruising went down and tomorrow I am removing my stiches.I am not seeing even slight improvement and am quite upset about it. Should i hope for any improvement

1 week is pretty early

+1

Dear Gurrat

At one week's time, it is still quite early to know what the final result will be exactly. There is still a considerable amount of swelling present.

But having done dozens of congenital unilateral ptosis surgeries [one sided], I will tell you that if you are  EXPECTING a completely symmetrical result, then you will certainly be disappointed. Part of our jobs as surgeons is to convey a proper level of expectation for the patient. Congenital ptosis eyelid is abnormal in its function, and will never function or look as normal as the other eyelid.

You should expect an improved appearance. But you should be patient for a couple more months.

Best of luck

Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon

Eyelid Swelling

+1

Early post-op is very frustrating for patients.  It is during this time that swelling is the greatest and you have to give it time to settle down before worrying that the operation failed.

Allow time for the swelling to decrease after eyelid surgery

+1

Thank you for the question and photos. You should wait until the swelling has decreased before deciding on whether treatment is necessary.

Jacob Freiman, MD, FACS
Miami Beach Plastic Surgeon

Agree, that swelling is like gluing a 50 cent piece to the eyelid.

+1

The first two weeks after ptosis surgery tends to be a bit rough precisely because the swelling of the upper eyelid.  For this reason, it is really impossible to know how this will turn out.  Patients is critical.  It is a big mistake to do anything but wait this out.  A ptosis surgery is best judged 2 to 4 months after surgery.  Hang in there.

Still too early

+1

Any eyelid swelling tends to push the eyelid down, so the eyelid still can come up over the next few weeks as the healing progresses, but you may need a revision if it is too low after 6 months or so. Oculoplastic surgeons generally have the most experience with repairing ptosis, but unfortunately ptosis repair sometimes does not work as expected and needs to be repeated.

Jeffrey Schiller, MD
Staten Island Oculoplastic Surgeon