Lower Eyelid Looks Pulled Down 4 Weeks Post-op

I had a lower eye lift almost 4 weeks ago. My eyes are very red and have a pulled down look. Will this go away? The left eye seems worse?..What can I do to speed recovery along? I don't have another follow-up until March. Should I be concerned? I don't have any photos.Thank You.

Droop After Eyelid Surgery

+2

See your doctor as soon as you can get in in the next couple days.

If needed, timely intervention can make all the difference

Denver Plastic Surgeon

Eye irritation

+1

Hi

Your irritation and redness of the conjunctiva sounds like your eyes are becoming drier than prior to surgery. It is best if you seek advice from your ophthalmologist as there are non-surgical approaches that could reduce the irritation but not the contour and shape of the eyelids. Eyelid surgery on the lower lids could result in the downward displacement of the lid and ensuing dryness of the eyes. Your description of the "eyelid pulled down" speaks to this as the main culprit.

John Pak, MD, PhD
Chicago Oculoplastic Surgeon

If the eyes looks pulled down it’s helpful to massage them upward

+1

During the post operative period, if the eyes looks pulled down it’s helpful to massage them upward. Sometimes to stretch them upward may be helpful because they may be scarring down. In these cases, massaging upwards and outwards should be helpful. But, you should see your doctor before manipulating anything.

Joseph A. Eviatar, MD, FACS
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Pulled down eyelid after lower blepharoplasty

+1

Malposition of the lower lid can range from mild & temporary to severe & serious.  You should certainly see your surgeon promptly.

Mild forms are managed with lid massage & upward stretching exercises for the lower eyelid, external taping of the eyelid, and eyedrops and lubricants to prevent problems with dry-eye.  Often, with time, the milder forms of lid problems will resolve with these treatments.

More serious forms may require surgery to restore the correct lid position.

Only an in-person evaluation can determine what is happening in your case.

Thomas Fiala, MD

Don't get too concerned

+1
It is not uncommon to have the appearance of pulling of the lower eyelid this soon after the surgery. Most of the time, it is due to swelling in the eye pushing the eyelid away causing the appearance of a droopy or pulled eyelid. I would discuss this with your surgeon. I personally place my patients on some steroid eye drops and recommend upward massage of the eyelid in this circumstance. In virtually all patients, this pulling will normalize, it just takes time.
Andrew C. Campbell
Board Cerified Facial Plastic Surgeon

Andrew Campbell, MD
Milwaukee Facial Plastic Surgeon

Problem Following Eyelid Surgery

+1

It is still very soon after surgery, and it would be best for you to discuss this with your surgeon immediately. He/she knows the extent of your surgery and exactly what was performed, and will be able to provide you with the best advice. Thank you, and I hope this helps answer your question.

Dr. Nassif

Paul S. Nassif, MD

Ectropion (Lower Eyelid Malposition) After Lower Blepharoplasty

+1

You need to contact your surgeon immediately and get in for a follow-up. You will undooubtably be placed on some eye drops, night time eye protection and massaging to manage your ectropion (lower eyelids pulled down) after your lower blepharoplasty. You are well within the early postoperative period where further improvement is likely to occur.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Lower Eyelid pulled down after Blepharoplasty

+1

Hi Question1234 in Boston, MA,

Speak with your eyelid plastic surgeon now to address these concerns. What you describe may be ectropion, or the eyelid pulling downward and away from the eye itself. This eyelid position may contribute to symptoms such as dryness, irritation, redness, or tearing. Untreated, ectropion may lead to ulcerations of the eye.

The etiology of eyelid malposition is multifactorial and complex. Swelling, skin removal, weak muscles, or scarring are some potential causes. Usually very minor problems with the eyelid will resolve on their own with time. Eye drops, massage, temporary taping or stitches may be required in the early postoperative period. Most importantly one keep the eye moist.

Again, speak with your eyelid surgeon now to help determine appropriate options for you. Best of luck.

Dr. Chaboki

Houtan Chaboki, MD
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lower Lid Blepharoplasty

+1

The most important thing at this point is to keep your eyes moist.  Get some liquid tears or ointment to help protect your eyes.  You should see your surgeon soon and if they are not comfortable treating you, you should be referred to someone who is.  You will likely need a combination of massage and possible injections to help soften up the scar tissue.  However, there is a chance that you will also need a surgical release as well.  However, without pictures or examining you, this is all speculation.  

Good luck.

David Shafer, MD

Lower eyelids pulled down

+1

If you are experiencing eye discomfort following your lower lid blepharoplasty, it is reasonable to see your surgeon before your next scheduled follow up appointment.  If you did not have an oculoplastic surgeon do your surgery you may want to consider seeing an ophthalmologist to evaluate your eyes.  

Keshini Parbhu, MD
Orlando Oculoplastic Surgeon