Eye Lift Scar is Not a Smooth, Curving Shape. Instead, It Has a Point. Will It Go Away? (photo)

Hello. I had an upper eye lift 23 days ago, and I am concerned that the scar on one eye is not a smooth, curving shape. Instead it has a point (see picture). Will it go away or is something wrong? I asked my PS but he didn't really answer. Thank you very much!

Eyelid surgery issue

+1

An exam is important to evaluate this, but it looks like skin that may be adherent to underlying structures.  Best to give it some time to heal this may settles out over the next few months, it is still on ly a few weeks out form surgery.

Eye Lift Scar is Not a Smooth, Curving Shape. Instead, It Has a Point. Will It Go Away?

+1

No, IMHO this will not go away as this represents an indentation where the skin has retracted up into the lower tissue layers.  This could be from removal of upper eyelid muscle, opening the orbital septum to remove excess fat or excessive fat removal of the central fat compartment.  This is one of the reasons that I don't remove eyelid muscle, during upper eyelid surgery and even close the muscle layer back up over the opened orbital septum.  Bot help prevent this type of scar retraction.  Perhaps massage and localised filler will help fill in the retracted area.  

You have a number of issues evident in the eyelids.

+1

First, I think you have actually healed very rapidly after upper eyelid surgery.  This is a very typically upper eyelid result so don't assume that I am finding fault with your plastic surgery.  I am not.  

First there is no substitute for an actual examination.  If your plastic surgeon is not willing to address your concerns, eventually you will get frustrated and seek out a surgeon who will address your concerns.

The first thing that strikes me with your eyelid is how ptotic or droopy the upper eyelid are.  This may have been the way they were before surgery or it may be that they are ptotic as a result of swelling related to the surgery.  If it was there before surgery, it is nice when the eyelid surgeon addresses this issue at the time of surgery.  It also looks to be like the upper eyelid incisions were placed much too high.  This can have the effect of contributing to a thin long upper eyelid.  Also I share the concern that it appears too much fat may have been removed from the upper eyelid.  However, review of the before photos would be very helpful to say this for sure.

If the upper eyelid incisions are not perfectly shaped when the skin is cut it is possible to have contour abnormalities in the appearance of the incision.  This can be less of an issue with healing. 

Overall, I would recommend that you wait 6-12 months before seriously considering revisional eyelid surgery.  I am sorry that your eyelid surgery results are not everything you hoped for.

Eye Lift Scar

+1

Downpage,

It is difficult to give you an answer without examining you.  However, I suspect you may have had too much skin and/or fat taken out of the eyelid.  A lack of skin and/or fat in the upper lid could be causing the "point" that you describe.  If so, you could benefit from a skin graft or filling of the upper lid with an injectable filler like Restylane.  I recommend that you seek an evaluation from an oculoplastic surgeon in our area.  I would recommend that you look for one on the website for the American Society of Ophthalmic Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, asoprs.org

Michael McCracken, MD
Lone Tree Oculoplastic Surgeon

Upper bleph scar

+1

Its too early to tell how the skin will heal and if the slight residual skin excess will contract. You may benefit from gentle daily massages as per your PS instructions; otherwise, waite at least 3 months before evaluating for a touch up. 

Edwin Ishoo, MD
Brookline Facial Plastic Surgeon