Considering an Eye Lift, Worried About Potential Scarring.

I have sunken dark circles & wrinkles under my eyes. I am 36 & have had these since my early teens at least. I would like to have an eye lift. I have Melasma, & have found that after acne has healed it is often replaced with a new melasma patch. I am concerned that the scarring will cause melasma under my eyes. I have also had non malignant melanomas removed about 10 years ago, & ended up with keloid scarring for 12 of the 13 removed. Every stitch mark is still visable. Am I likely to scar?

Photos would be helpful

+1

Won't belabor the point of having photos. Its has been mentioned before. Firstly,  hypertrophic scarring around the eyelids is rare, but every incision will heal with a scar. Around the eyes, the scarring tends to be more forgiving and easier to camouflage, especially the upper eyelid. The dark pigmentation may be due to the skin pigmentation, though often around the eyelids, it may be from the skin's underlying muscle. There are a variety of ways to address pigmentation, from laser, to hyaluronic acid fillers, to creams. Each person needs to be evaluated individually. 

Finally, you mention that you had "non malignant melanomas" removed. There is no such thing as a NON malignant melanoma. If your condition was NOT malignant, then it was NOT a melanoma. But if it really was a melanoma, then it WAS malignant. A regular examination by a dermatologist is quite important for you.

Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon

Blepharoplasty Scarring

+1
First of all, the skin least likely to scar in the ENTIRE body is that around the eyelids.  Melasma can be treated, many times I recommend it be treated prior to the surgery to create a better skin foundation, then be aware that there is a very low risk of scarring from blepharoplasty surgery.

Jeffrey Epstein, MD, FACS
Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

Scarring from blepharoplasty

+1

It's impossible to comment on both your condition-whether you need surgery--and the scarring issues without a photo.  With respect to mealnoma removal and keloid scarring, from your description, this is not keloidal scarring but is perhaps hypertrophic.  Again, how long were the sutures in place?  Were the lesions excised or shaved off?  By a plastic surgeon or a dermatologist?  If your concern is wrinkling, then Restylane might be a good solution and, if the sunken areas appear dark, as in a shadowy condition, you may not require surgery at your age.  Some patients have a congenital tendency toward dark shadows under the eyelids. 

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Eyelid lift scarring

+1

There are many types of skin and we classify these according to your genetic background and pigmentation.  The classification actually takes into account your response to sun damage and scars.  Interestingly, the eyelids are one area that is very resistant to scarring and pigmentation, so that is very much in your favor.  With careful skin preparation using topical agents prior to surgery, and mindful planning of your incisions, you will be able to achieve your goals.

Todd Christopher Hobgood, MD
Phoenix Facial Plastic Surgeon

I recommend a face to face consultation regarding eyelid surgery with a respected eyelid surgeon.

+1

It is difficult to say what would be best for you without having a face-to-face consultation.  I sounds like you have a number of concerns to be addressed.  Treating Melasma and/or lower eyelid pigmentation is a concern that requires a different treatment than eyelid surgery.  Good photos would help, but a consultation is better.

Mark Taylor, MD
Salt Lake City Dermatologic Surgeon