Eye Irritation Following Upper and Lower Blepharoplasty?

I had upper and lower blepharoplasty on April 12th. It is April 18th and I am progressing with some bruising and swelling, but the eye irritation is bugging me the most. When does the eye irritation generally go away? I work on a computer and I like to read. I am using ice packs on my eyes but the irritation lingers. Thanks!

Eyelid Irritation After Blepharoplasty

+3

This is not uncommon to have eyelid irritation and dry eyes after blepharoplasty. It needs to be treated with a high level of moisturization and use of Refresh Plus and Refresh PM for the first 2-3 weeks. This usually resolves sequelae.

Very common

+3

Eye irritation this early after surgery is more the norm rather than the exception.

Your blinking is still probably slightly compromised which means the ocular surface lubrication is not ideal. Artificial tears and/or ocular lubricating ointment would be indicated for you in the early going. As things improve, you can taper off of them.

A.J. Amadi, MD
Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon

Eye irritation after blepharoplasty

+3

Hi,

This is very common during the first several weeks and you merely need time for the swelling and bruising to go down.  With the decrease in swelling, then there are more normal air currents that hit your corneas and your eyes will get back to a more normal enviornment.

You are VERY early.   Make sure you discuss this with your ps and get the best answers for your case specifically.

Steven M. Lynch, MD
Albany Plastic Surgeon

Eye irritation after 4 lid blepharoplasty

+3

Some eye irritation can happen after blepharoplasty. I often give several forms of eyedrops and creams to keep the eyes well lubricated. An exam in person would be necessary, but best for you to discuss this with your surgeon.

Eye irritation after blepharoplasty

+3

I would discuss this with your surgeon but you are only 6 days into your healing, and some discomfort is to be expected. If you have irritation from a corneal abrasion, that will get better and there are drops your surgeon can prescribe to make it less irritating. 

Dilip D. Madnani, MD, FACS

Eye irritation after blepharoplasty

+3

After any eyelid surgery, it is common to have some temporary eye irritation.  This can be due to any sutures on the inside of the lid or the eyelids not closing completely.  The sutures will disolve with time.  The normal blinking of the eyelid also will improve with time.  The best thing to do for each situation is to use ocular lubrication.  This would include artificial tears that you can get over the counter.  i would suggest using these 4 times a day to start wtih.  Also, you can use a lubricating ointment in the eyes at night, also available over the counter.

Try to be patient, although this can be hard.  It is still early.

Richard C. Allen, MD, PhD
Iowa City Oculoplastic Surgeon

Eye irritation

+3

With only a short time from surgery, it is expected to have the symptoms you discussed. Eyedrops work well here. Discuss this with your surgeon. All the best

Thomas A. Narsete, MD
Greenwood Village Plastic Surgeon

+2

Eye irritation in the early postoperative period is not uncommon, and adequate lubrication should be maintained.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Eye Irritation after Blepharoplasty

+1

It is not unusual to experience dry eye early after blepharoplasty.  Symptoms may include a sandy or gritty feeling, redness, and (ironically) tearing.  These symptoms can get worse when you read or use the computer, as your blink rate goes down during these activities.  I would recommend you bring up the issue with your surgeon and use over the counter artificial tears as needed.

Michael McCracken, MD
Lone Tree Oculoplastic Surgeon