Eye Hollows. What Are My Options? (photo)

Hi, I have big eye hollows and I want to ask....Is there anything that can help me? I read about some eye surgeries but I dont know if those surgeries can help me....Also, space under my eyes and on the side of the nose is purple (as you can see on second picture). Is that related to hollowness or is it something else? Can be this treated? Thank you for response.

Treating Dark Circles

+1

The cause of dark circles is a combination of shadowing from eye hollows and the thinness of the skin of the lower eyelids which allows the underlying muscle to be seen.  Correction for this problem is twofold.  The thinness of the skin is best addressed with a combination of a retinoid and a Vitamin K serum.  This combination has been experimentally shown to be the best at reducing the appearance of the dark circles.  It is important to remember two things about treating with topical products.  First is that it takes time to get a result, 3-6 months on average.  Anything that is claimed to work faster is a cosmetic and will have no lasting results. The second thing is that no product or combination of products has ever been shown to completely eliminate dark circles.  As for treating shadowing from eye hollows, filler works the best.  Expect to need about 6-8 ml of product for a great cosmetic result.  The attached video link shows an eyelid restoration with filler and can give you a nice sense of the improvement possible.

Minneapolis Facial Plastic Surgeon

I have dark circles and hollow lower eyelids. Help!

+1

Most of us notice changes in our lower lids over time, and this may begin as early as the teenage years. Much of how we look is determined by our ancestors and familial characteristics are passed on and on. Lower lid shadows and hollowing is often due to things like: (a) thin skin, (b) translucent skin showing small blood vessels beneath, (c) pigmentary changes in the skin, (d) fine wrinkles (crepiness) that creates micro-shadows on the skin surface, (e) loss of subcutaneous tissue beneath the skin especially in the tear trough, (f) bulging fatty tissue that creates hills and valleys, and other factors. Whew!   So, treatment will vary depending on which of these factors is present. In our youth, fewer of these may be an issue, so injectable fillers can often. With time, however, more of these factors come into play. Then we need to consider skin resurfacing and surgical options.  The good news? Most people can benefit from treatment and progress to an improved,  fresher and rested appearance!  

Donn R. Chatham, MD
Louisville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Eye Hollows

+1

For your age, the appropriate treatment would be hyaluronic filler, such as Restylane (preferably) or Juvederm to improve the hollowness beneath the eyes. This can be a tricky procedure and should only be performed by an experiened and expert physician injector.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Hyaluronic Acid Injectable Treatment for Hollow Eyes

+1

Considering that you appear to be young, a nonsurgical method (injectable) is probably most appropriate. For Hollowness beneath the eyes, I would recommend a hyaluronic acid injectable filler (such as Restylane or Juvederm) or a "Vampire Facelift" to add volume in that area . I see many patients with hollow eyes and dark circles as a concern at my practice in New York. A proper consultation with a specialized  is necessary for treatment advice.

Amiya Prasad, MD
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Treating eye hollows

+1
I would rcommend that you try Restylane before considering lower lid blepharoplasty. You can see whether the degree of improvement is satisfactory before making a decision to undergo surgery.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Hollow

+1

You are young!  Use a hyaluronic filler, such as Restylane or Juvederm for hollowness of the inferior orbit.  Future lower eyelid blepharoplasties may be better entertained later in your life.

Robert Shumway, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Eye hollows. Best treatment?

+1

I was surprised to read that others suggested lower eyelid surgery.  I agree with them that this is a reasonable option.  But I also agree that you could consider Restylane as an alternative to surgery at this time.

Lawrence Kass, MD
Saint Petersburg Oculoplastic Surgeon

Best Treatment for Lower Eye Hollows and Dark Circles

+1

Hi Jerry,

Watch out for that guy with the black Sharpie that has scribbled all over your face, likely while you were sleeping!  Kidding aside, I believe that the best treatment for your lower eye hollows would be the use of Restylane to fill the hollow.  This treatment will not completely get rid of the dark circles, but will help with the shadowing under your eye.  Choose your injecting physician most carefully as this area is very delicate and unforgiving.  Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD

Injection vs blepharoplasty

+1

In all honesty, the photos you have provided is not ideal in quality. If you have a significant amount of fat prolapsing into your eyelid, a blepharoplasty with fat excision/repositioning can be great.

If there is a subtle amount of fat, but the hollow is more significant, fillers such as Restylane or Juvederm can be excellent in this area. Make sure your injector has a lot of experience.

A.J. Amadi, MD
Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon

Lower Eyelids

+1

Yes, you have two options.  You can have injections with products such as Restylane and Juvederm.  The intention would be to fill the hollow and make a smooth transition between your cheek and lids.  The other option is a lower lid blepharoplasty where a combination of fat removal and repositioning can help improve the contour of your lid-cheek junction.

Good Luck.

David Shafer, MD