What Can I Do About The Asymmetry of my Eyes? (photo)

So I was born with really asymmetrical eyes. When I was younger, I had physiotherapy to try to keep my head up straight because my eyes are so wonky I compensate for it by holding my head at an angle. This also effects my eyebrows and nose. Basically, I'm really wonky. In theory, can anything be done to correct the height of actual eyes? I'd like to be more symmetrical as people often comment on it and have insulted me because of it.

Your problem is really not unusual, but the extent is.

+2

When you look at the photo you provided, it appears the asymmetry goes throughout the face.

MOST people have a difference in the face from side to side, but yours is more than usual.

Correction can sometimes be done by using a maxillofacial surgeon.  It is not the usual plastic surgery because it requires the cooperation of a team of plastic surgeons and oral surgeons.

However it can be very effective.

Most major metropolitan areas have a group which devotes itself to patients like you.  In Florida we refer to Tony Wolfe of Miami

However his office may be able to refer you to someone who does the same type of work in your area.

Dr. Mayl

Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon

Correcting facial asymmetry

+1

Thank you for the question and the photo.  Facial asymmetry is always present.  Its often a question and how much more than if it is present.  Let me first start out by saying that you look great and its ok to consider not doing anything:  we all have some asymmetry.  I suspect that your facial bones are asymmetric.  You may also have some some tissue asymmetry as well.  Your options will fall into one of two categories:  facial skeleton contouring versus soft tissue contouring.  I would identify what aspects of your asymmetry are most important for your and focus on those first.  With respect you your eyes you may have to contour the forehead above and the cheeks below to improve symmetry.  You may want to discuss either fat grafting as well placing a small graft on the floor of your left orbit or using a bone mimicking substance in your forehead, fat grafting to  the face and the orbital floor implant.  I think prioritizing and truly understanding both your options as well as the drawback will be the key.

Dr. Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

What Can I Do About The Asymmetry of my Eyes?

+1

I would recommend finding a Plastic Surgeon that specialized in craniofacial surgery.  Besides your eyes, the left side of your jaw appears elongated compared to your right which is also causing the deviation or your nose.  A Craniofacial Surgeon should be able to go over options for correction vs. options to camouflage the asymmetry.

Rigo Mendoza, MD

Botox injections may help with your brow asymmetry.

+1

I read your concerns and reviewed your photos. Here's my take:

Your entire face is asymmetrical, but you're attractive. The most obvious area of asymmetry to me is in your eyebrows. Some artful Botox, and a little luck, may be used to try to elevate your right brow. An exam would be necessary. Based on what I see, I would advise against surgery at this point.

Hope this helps you.

Dr. Joseph

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Please do not let a well meaning surgeon touch your medial canthal tendons.

+1

I am also afraid that your mother was taken advantage by being talked into subjecting you to physical therapy to keep your head straight.  We all have some degree of facial asymmetry.  If you look at your photos, your nose as a slight slant to the right.  It is basically aligned with the chin which is also shifted right from midline.  Should you have craniofacial surgery to set this right.  You will have to decide this.  If you were my daughter, I would hope that you would not do this.   Aside from a few inappropriate boors, I personally think very few would even notice this subtle issue.  These craniofacial surgeries involve separating the face from the skull base and realigning the facial components as needed.  I think this type of surgery for you would represent an inappropriate misadventure for such a slight problem.  I for one think you might be better off having some therapy to you learn to better deal with the few insensitive souls that life sends in our direction.  Therapy with your mother might also be helpful because sometimes Mom and her insecurities (and feelings of guilt) are the real basis for these types of insecurities.  Please don't let a surgeon talk you into unnecessary elective surgery.

Distopia is the name for this kind of asimetry eyes

+1

i think you have a dislocation or distruption perhaps by a previous accident or gentically of your medial cantal ligament of your  right eye.

you would need any certified plastic reconstructive surgeon "asaps" may recomend one to put again this medial ligament in the wright place it is  a  reconstructive 100% technique and stays quite ok the position and  corrects the asimetry at least al 90% or 100%

Ramon Navarro, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

Perhaps a little botox would help

+1

Thanks for the picture and the description of your concerns (not to take what you are saying lightly but "wonky" was fun a term to read).

Judging by your picture, your are very young and very lucky to have the fine features that you do. So I would certainly not advise any surgical procedure for you. It would appear from this picture that you do have some brow asymmetry with your right brow / eyebrow lower than your left. It looks like you are squinting a little bit and that may be a habitual use of the forehead muscles (much like when people habitually squint and furrow their brows without realizing it).

Regardless, given your age and this picture you may benefit from a "botox browlift". With this the right brow could be elevated to more evenly match the left. An easy procedure for experienced injectors.

Dr. Kamran Jafri

Kamran Jafri, MD