Artefill Under Eye Filler Reaction?

I've had Restylane and Artefill under the eyes. Restylane over a period of years; Artefill the 1st time two months ago after skin test w/ no reaction whatsoever. Within last couple of weeks I've had swelling under the eyes, which I can't connect to anything topical/ ingested. Medical history includes ideopathic hives several times, one anaphylactic reaction to sulfa/ sulphates, and other less pronounced reactions to sulfa/sulphates, asthma. Possibly Artefill related? I'm taking Benadryl.

Removing fillers from the eyes and lips - Los Angeles

+1

We have successfully removed fillers from the lower eyelids and from the lips in patients with permanent filler complications. Raffy Karamanoukian Los Angeles

Artefill under the eye is not FDA approved

+1

Artefill under the eye is not FDA approved and is an off-label use of the product. You can have allergies to the Artefill even if you were tested. Swelling under the eyes often results, which is true with any filler. But, you can be allergic to the collagen under the eyes from the Artefill, even if you’ve been tested.

Joseph A. Eviatar, MD, FACS
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Artefill under eyes filler reaction

+1

Has it gotten better or worse or stayed the same during the 2 weeks?

If it is staying the same or getting better, I would wait a few more weeks. Even though the skin test was negative,  you may have a reaction to the collagen  portion of the Artefill. In this case, the swelling will most likely go down slowly.

If after 4-6 weeks it is not getting better or if itgets worse, I would see a cosmetic dermatologist for a 2.5 mm punch biopsy which may clarify the type of problem you have.

Eugene Mandrea, MD
Chicago Dermatologist