Eye Doctor Performing Liposuction. Is It Safe for Them to Give Valium?

Where I live in Washington, DC you have eye doctors, pathologist, and cosmetic specialist dermatologist, etc….how can I decide which is best. I read where trained Plastic Surgeon suggest that you go only to a plastic surgeon for the best results, but the before and after pictures of the work performed by some of these eye doctors, etc… looks better than a Plastic Surgeon work. What are your thoughts?

Liposuction by non-plastic surgeon

+3

Dear Tanesha,

If you are considering a small area of your body to have liposuction on, under local anesthesia, then I think it is fine to go to an eye doctor, or dermatologist with training and experience in liposuction. Even though uncomfortable,this can be done safely in an office setting. This is good for small " touch-up " or small volumes of aspirate ( say 150- 200 cc )

but if you are considering a bigger area, say your entire mid-section, then you need general or IV anesthesia. To be safe, this should be performed in a hospital or surgicenter  with a board certified plastic surgeon and an anesthesiologist to monitor your recovery.

There is no guaranties of the provenance and authenticity of pre-op and post-op photos on many web sites unfortunately.

Florence Mussat, M.D.

Liposuction and valium

+2

How will you be given the valium? If it is in-office, intravenous, it is the riskiest approach.

• we plastic surgeons developed cosmetic surgery, have the best understanding, range of skills and ability to take care of complications.
  • But doctors' licenses are not restricted. All licensed doctors can do cosmetic work.
  • Non-plastic surgeon's photos may look better than a plastic surgeon's for many reasons - the case was easier, the photo is touched up, the photo isn't that doctor's work, the photos represents weight loss not surgery or it is a good result. 
  • Surgery done with local anesthesia and sedation by mouth with you awake or general anesthesia are safer than Intravenous sedation - this is the most likely dangerous approach because of the greater risk that you stop breathing.
  • An eye surgeon or cosmetic dermatologic surgeon is preferable to a pathologist who is not trained in patient care of any kind, including surgery. Take care!

Non plastic surgeon performing liposuction

+2

Some non plastic surgeons do fine work with liposuction.  There are some not so reputable ones who have taken the preop and postop photos from a plastic surgeon's website and claim that it is their work. 

In any event, you need to assure that the non plastic surgeon has the training, expertise, staff, and facility in order to manage both the regular case and any unforeseen problems during and after surgery. 

Eye Doctor Performing Liposuction. Is It Safe for Them to Give Valium

+1

Since I am a board certified plastic surgeon, I think you know what my answer is going to be.  Certainly there is no problem with a physician giving you Valium preoperatively; however, in most liposuction procedures I perform, I have the patient asleep or under sedation anesthesia so that I can adequately perform the procedure not only to my expectations, but the patient’s also.  I know many board certified plastic surgeons in the Washington, D.C. area, and certainly you should be able to find one who will give you superb results.

Jonathan Ross Berman, M.D. , F.A.C.S.

Palm Beach Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction by eye doctor?

+1

I would recommend that you go to a Board Certified plastic surgeon in your area for liposuction.  Photos on websites may not be that particular physician's actual patients, or they can be retouched photos.  Do not rely solely on those photos to make your decision.

Katy Plastic Surgeon

Buyer beware

+1

You have to be careful.They will put their best photos up and whom is to say that these are actually their patients.I would be very,very careful.I would go to a board certified plastic surgeon.

Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Eye surgeon doing liposuction

+1

All I can really thing to say is YIKES.  Why on earth does an eye surgeon even want to do liposuction? 

Web reference: http://www.sowdermd.com/blog/trust-me-im-a-cosmetic-surgeon-and-i-have-this-nice-operating-room-in-my-office/

Eye doctor performing Liposuction

+1

You should have your surgery performed by a board certified Plastic Surgeon. Photos may be and are often altered by non board certified surgeons without any consequences. If a plastic surgeon who i board certified misrepresents his/her work he and  alters photos they are subject to disciplinary proceedings. A board certified Plastic Surgeon receives rigorous  training prior to finishing an approved residency for the surgery you will have performed.

Web reference: http://www.liposuctionchicago.org

Eye Doctor Performing Liposuction

+1

Your eye doctor may be very talented at liposuction, but in general around the country we see a much larger number of bad results and serious, often life threatening, complications from pseudo-cosmetic surgeons who lack the years of extensive training the Plastic Surgeons have. It is not enough to do the surgery. The more important part is the decision as to who is a good candidate, the ability to prevent complications, and the knowledge to treat the complications should they arise. You definitely have to wonder about the surgeon's motivations when he is willing to take your money after he has a weekend course in liposuction but is not willing to put in the 7-10 years of extra training your plastic surgeon has. BTW - do you really think they are going to show you the bad results in their photos? Also remember that if the surgeon does not have a certified surgical center or a hospital where he can do the surgery, beware. And finally, if he only has the ability to give light sedation and cannot provide you with the option of a board certified anesthesiologist and general anesthesia, beware.

Some of the Best Liposuction Results are from Dermatologic Surgeons!

+1

The best liposuction work may not be from a general plastic surgeon but from a Dermatologic Surgeon.  A dermatologist invented the Tumescent technique liposuction under local anesthesia and using the smaller canulas which give the smoothest, best results.  Most plastic surgeons still do the old method of general anesthesia and use larger canulas therefore the patient can't stand up and turn in all positions to fine tune the results.  This is why they may not get the best results and, I agree, their before and after photos are not very impressive.  I allow my before and after photos to be used by brochure companies which any doc can purchase and add his name to it. It is fine with me since it shows what is possible in the right hands. 

Any specialty can do good work if trained and experienced enough and keeps up on the better techniques for that procedure. Some of the newer less experienced docs are jumping into the liposuction arena with a lot of gimmicky liposuction techniques such as laser or ultrasound machines which have side effects and risks that are not worth it or freezing or laser shrinking fat cells that just don't make much of a difference. These may be beneficial to some patients but not usually.  All good lipo docs do their work in accredited facilities which may be in or attached to their own office.  Valium or lorazepam is a common pre op medication given to patients by most of the best lipo docs to help relax patients. It is important to develop a good doctor/patient relationship and feel comfortable with the doc you choose since he/she should be available for you for the next 4-6 months to help make this an easy journey through your procedure and recovery with great results.  Sincerely,

David Hansen,MD

Web reference: http://www.drdavidhansen.com

Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon