My Eye Does Not Completely Close and I Now Have Cornea Damage

Two years ago I had upper blepharoplasty & a browlift on the left brow and a week after surgery I knew something was wrong as my left eye was extremely wide. Unfortuntely my left eyelid still does not close properly & I suffer from extreme discomfort in my left eye. It feels extremely tight, wide and is very watery. I have now discovered that my cornea is damaged but my surgeon has since told me there is nothing he can do, I was wondering if there is any way of correcting the eyelid closure.

After eyelid surgery, you may need further surgery to correct corneal problems

+2

After eyelid surgery, if there’s too much skin removed or if scar tissue develops, it may be necessary to release the scar tissue or lower the lid particularly if you develop corneal problems. Further surgery sounds like it may be indicated in your case.

New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Oculoplastic Surgeon

+2

Hi

As echoed by the previous surgeons, you need to obtain proper advice from an ASOPRS-credited oculoplastic surgeon to provide you with important avenues to treat your issue. It is important to seek advice soon.

John Pak, MD, PhD
Chicago Oculoplastic Surgeon

Problems with Corneal Irritation after Eyelid Surgery. What Treatment?

+2

First an foremost protect your cornea 100%.  

1.  Humidify your bedroom.  Dry room = dry eye = corneal irritation.   When your eye does not close the cornea drys and becomes inflammed and uncomfortable.  Do all you can to prevent dryness.

2.  When outside in wind and sun use wrap around glass such as those used by high altitude climbers.  REI has them.  There are more stlish versions.  This prevents dryness.

3.  Protect your eye with layers of protection.  Refresh type eye drops in single packets work and contain no    preseratives.   For greater protection use Celluvisc gel drops.  Theragel drops also are great.   Both of these blur for awhile but work well.   The next layer of protection is ointment but it blurs.  Use ointment at night in and on you eye.  Reapply if needed.  PROTECTION FOR YOUR CORNEA.

4.  Sterile eye patches with saline on your eye at night and during naps help assure a moist environment.  Tale the pads on or hold them on with an airline type mask for further protection.

5.  There are other prescription preparations for eye health and protection that your eye doctor can prescribe or your surgeon.

6. What about surgery?  A skin graft to your eyelid may help  but not does not look so good too often.   I would first try Botox to your forhead and use it to the point of essentially total paralysis.  This will help allow your forehead to drop or at least not be pulled up by your frontalis muscle.   A forehead surgery with many horizontal incisions on the periosteum, in an extensive but safely aggressive manner, may essentially allow forehead legenthening.  To accomplish this a hairline incision would be best and again the surgeon needs to think release, release, and release which is the opposite mentality of doing a forehead lift.   I think this may be very helpful and much more cosmetically appealing than an eylid skin graft.   Hairline incisions done with TLC do very very well.   I think this covers the surgical approaches.

7.  So there you are.   Lots can be done and you will be fine.  Get multiple consults.  Get a consult from your local university plastic surgery service.  You will be fine.  My Best to you.    Dr Commons

George Commons, MD
Palo Alto Plastic Surgeon

Eye closure problem after blepharoplasty - lagophthalmus

+2

Dear patient,

What you have is medically called, lagophthalmus - an inability to achieve complete eye closure.  This can happen after too much eyelid skin removal secondary to a blepharoplasty procedure.  The main treatment method involved replacing skin to the upper eyelid.  In the meantime, nightly use of ocular lubricants, eyelid taping an night, and artificial tears during the day can help reduce dry eyes and corneal damage.   Wishing you the best resolution to this difficult problem.  Sincerely, Dr. Vartanian from LA.

A. John Vartanian, MD
Glendale Facial Plastic Surgeon

Eye not closing after surgery

+2

You will need to see an specialist who is experienced in this type of problem, who CAN do something about these problems including corneal damage.

Mohsen Tavoussi, MD, DO
Huntington Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lagophthalmos

+2

The inability to close the eyelid after surgery, lagophthalmos, can be addressed surgically with the use of skin grafting. This may produce a less than ideal cosmetic result, but may be necessary to protect the health of the eye and prevent corneal abrasions/infections.

A.J. Amadi, MD
Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon

Lagophthalmos following blepharoplasty

+1

Lagophthalmos can cause significant dry eye and subsequent corneal problems.  This is the first issue whtich must be addressed is protecting the cornea.  If your surgeon is unable to manage this for you I recommend seeing an ophthalmologist who can help.  Regarding a longer term repair, this would probably require skin grafting to restore function, though it will likely compromise the cosmetic result.

Mark Beaty, MD
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon