Fat Transfer for Under Eye Circles

is fat transfer good for under eye hollows and small lines ? If anyone has done this procedure let me know how are the results. Thanks

Fat Grafting is Best Option for Under Eye Circles

+3

Open Fat Grafting and Arcus Marginalis Release is the best option for true dark circles under eyes.

This will not help pigment or discoloration.

However if you have a deep depression beneath your lower eyelids that is creating a shadow and dark circle then Fat Grafting will help you.

See my link below to better understand this procedure.

I recommend avoid Fat Transfer done by needle injection. Needle injection around the eye can be dangerous, the fat often dies, and the fat can be pushed out oif the depression by the action of the eyelid muscles.

Combined Erbium Laser Resurfacing is required to improve fine lines and wrinkles.

You can see photos in link below and on my Realself Photos.

Fat Grafting Under Eyes

+3

it is very important to preserve (or restore) soft tissue volume in the lower lid. When I review with eyelid surgery patients some photographs from their twenties, in most cases we find that years ago there was no visible demarcation between lid and cheek, but instead a smooth, gently convex curve extending downward from the lower lid margin.

In patients who have developed deep 'tear troughs' at the junction of the lower lid and cheek, adjacent to the side of the nose, the meticulous grafting of fat harvested from the patient's abdomen, hips or thighs can build this area back up and nicely restore a more youthful contour. In some blepharoplasty patients this depression or 'hollow' extends horizontally across the entire junction of the lower lid and cheek, and this must be corrected to obtain the ideal postoperative result.

In select patients, lower lid rejuvenation may consist of conservative reduction (not removal) of the lower lid fat pads or 'bags', in combination with structural fat grafting of the 'tear trough' hollow immediately below. As with all aesthetic surgical procedures, it is absolutely essential to customize the surgical plan to the specific needs of every patient.

Michael Law, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Better options for under eye hollows

+1

Fat transfer can have more side effects and downtime than other fillers especially in the thin skin area under the eyes. I would recommend considering one of the hyaluronic acid fillers such as Restylane (which is one of my favorites under the eyes) or possibly a series of sculptra (poly-L lactic acid) injections. You will have natural looking results that are long lasting and associated with fewer side effects.

Elizabeth F. Rostan, MD
Charlotte Dermatologist

Fat transfer option for under Eye bag treatment, without Cosmetic Surgery

+1

Hi xcherryx in dallas, TX

Fat injections are an option to help reduce eye bags and improve the appearance of the lower eyelid and cheek area. A small amount of fat is taken from the abdomen with liposuction, purified, and then injected immediately into the desired facial areas. Other nonsurgical options for eye bag treatment include Restylane and Juvederm. Fat grafting or other facial fillers may not improve the very find eye around the eyes. Botox Cosmetic, chemical peels, or skin care products are better for fine lines & wrinkles. Only after a comprehensive evaluation with a plastic surgeon can he/she help determine appropriate options for you. Best of luck.

Dr. C

Houtan Chaboki, MD
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

Fat grafts and injection s to under eye hollows

+1

If done in a conservative fashion, I believe fat grafting is an excellent option for treating under eye hollows but it's benefits for fine wrinkles is relatively minimal.

Fillers for under eye hollows

+1

Fat injections have been done for under eye hollows, but the hyaluronic acid fillers such as Juvederm and Restylane are safer in that the results can be dissolved if they are unsatisfactory.  Fine lines are not corrected with fat, as it is too viscous, or thick, a filler. There is a higher chance of lumps with fat injections than the other fillers.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Fat transfer can help eye circles

+1

Fat transfer is a versatile technique for filling areas of the face including the hollows below the eye, but must be done with caution and with the right equipment.  It is not as forgiving of a procedure as is filling with Restylane or Juvederm, especially in this area!  I have treated patients that have come to me long after having had this done elsewhere and they had residual overcorrection which required surgical removal.  Make sure your surgeon is comfortable and experienced with fat injection.

Douglas J. Mackenzie, MD
Santa Barbara Plastic Surgeon

Fat Grafting around the eyes.

+1

Fat Grafting is a great procedure when performed by an experienced surgeon.  Areas around the eye are very thin and there is not a larger margin for error.  My advice is to see a board certified plastic surgeon in your area to determine what is best for your issues.

David Shafer, MD

Hollowness and fine lines under eyes.

+1

The hollowness under your eyes is most likely due to a loss of fat in this area which is not uncommon as we begin to show the signs of aging.  In my opinion, the best treatment to improve this problem is the use of an injectible filler such as Juvederm or Restylane. I do not recommend a filler such as Radiesse for this area due to the color and denseness as it could show under the thin, delicate skin in this area. Using your own fat harvested from another area of your body to inject is a more permanent solution however I am cautious in using fat in this area. I have performed this procedure numerous times in the past and the success rate has varied from patient to patient. I have found over the years that the injectible fillers are much more predictable for obtaining the desired results with the least side effects.

The other concern of fine lines in this area may be helped to a degree by plumping the area with a filler or your own fat however it will not eliminate the lines.  My recommendation is a chemical peel (phenol peel) for a great and long lasting result.  I do not recommend the peel for everyone due to the risk of hyperpigmentation which is greater for those who have an olive complexion or have darker skin.   If you elect to do the chemical peel you should be aware that you will not be able to cover the area with makeup for a period of 10-14 days due to the healing that will need to occur.  The skin will have a deep pink to red color that will slowly fade away over time - usually within 3-6 months - and can be camouflaged with makeup until the skin returns to the pigment it was prior to the peel.  The results are smoother, tighter skin making you appear less tired and more youthful.

Arnold Zweig, MD
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

Fat Tranfer for Tear Trough Deformity

+1

Fat Transfer for Under Eye Circles

Fat tranfer is a good option for treating the tear trough or the hollows.  Small lines, fillers are not a good option.  Restylane is also a good option for the treatment of the tear trough as well.  The differences are that fillers are out of the box and do not require obtaining the fat.  With fillers there is a bit more less risk of having lumps and bumps appear under the eye area, as the risk with fat injection in this area given the very thin skin is a bit higher that other areas treated with the fat.

Good luck.

Farbod Esmailian, MD