Why is One Eye Bigger and 'Higher' Than the Other? (photo)

I'm very concerned about my eyes. Over the last year or so, I've noticed that my eyes look very asymmetrical. One seems bigger and lower than the other. It never used to be like this. What are the potential causes of this? Not only is it upsetting me from a cosmetic angle, but I'm also concerned as this change coincides with substantial weight loss, palpitations & panic attacks (for the first time in my life!), high blood pressure and other stuff. Maybe I just have newly acquired wonky eyes! :(

You need full medical evaluation

+2

You should see your primary physician for full medical evaluation. Your eyes are normal . You have minimal asymmetry which is normal and does not need any intervention.

New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Asymmetry is the rule

+2

No two eyes are symmetric.  With a split mirror, most people will note asymmetries. 

Regarding your situation, temporary changes can of course occur either spontaneously with changes in muscle activity, or with certain medications, injections such as Botox and of course surgery.

Your photograph shows your right eye and brow to be a bit more open/higher which looks like a Botox effect.  If you haven't had a Botox injection, don't panic.  You can consult with a plastic surgeon or opthalmologist who can reassure you and if appropriate, consider a simple treatment to improve the asymmetry.

David J. Levens, MD
Coral Springs Plastic Surgeon

Graves Disease and Eye Asymmetry

+1

Review of your clinical history and pictures suggest that youmight have a condition known as Graves disease. This disease can cause a variety of changes that effect the eye. In some cases the eyeball is actually enlarged by a condition known as exophthalmos. This condition can also effect the eyelid, eye soft tissue, eye muscles, cornea and even the optic nerve.

In addition Graves disease can cause hyperthyroidism which can cause significant systemic problems. Examples include insomnia, hyperactivity, hand tremors, hair loss, excessive sweating, palpitations, muscle weakness, weight loss, panic attacks, cardiac arrhythmias and elevated blood pressure.

Your symptoms and physical findings suggest a diagnosis of Graves disease. It’s important that you undergo a comprehensive medical evaluation to address this problem. It’s important that your hyperthyroidism and eye changes both receive appropriate treatment. This may require an endocrinologist and an ophthalmologist who specializes in this type of problem. 

Richard J. Bruneteau, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Totally agree with Dr. McCracken.

+1

First you appear to have upper eyelid retraction.  This is a sign of an overactive thyroid gland.  This of course fits in with your other hyper metabolic symptoms including palpitations, anxiety, weight loss, and heat intolerance.  Your primary care physician will be able to assess these symptoms and evaluate the thyroid with blood tests.  The treatment is to control the thyroid.  Your eye changes are mild and may less with time.  First start getting the  thyroid checked out.  

Uneven Eyes with Systemic Symptoms

+1

Lawgirl,

I recommend that you see your primary care physician in the next day or two about your weight loss, palpitations, panic attacks, and blood pressure changes.  Ask him or her to do blood work to look for thyroid disease.  One possible explanation could be an abnormality in your thyroid hormone levels.  Thyroid disease can also cause changes in the appearance of the eyes.  Once you have seen your primary care doctor, you should see an oculoplastic surgeon (an ophthalmologist who does additional training in the eyelids and eye sockets) to evaluate your eyelid changes.  If you have vision changes you need to see an oculoplastic surgeon immediately.

Michael McCracken, MD
Lone Tree Oculoplastic Surgeon