Under Eye Bags: Are There Any Non-Surgical Options?

I have heavy under eye bags that make me feel much older than my 40 years! They are hereditary and amplified by allergies. Are there any new, non-surgical procedures or treatments that can reduce there appearance? I am so tired of wasting money on topical products that don't work. Thank you!

Non-surgical fillers can give good results, but there are down sides

+1
Under eye bags is a common concern with aging of the eyes. These bags are actually fatty tissue which has become more prominent due to relaxation of the orbital septum or the lining that helps keep fat around the globe. Fat is important for supporting the eye, however, when it becomes herniated, it can become a sign of aging. Typically, we address these under eye bags through blepharoplasty which can involve both removal of skin as well as redundant fatty tissue. For those patients who are not ready for surgery, there do exist non-surgical options to help camouflage this eyelid puffiness. Probably the best option is non-surgical fillers which can be done in the office. Hyaluronic acid fillers such as Juvederm, Restylane and Perlane can be placed deep along the orbital rim to help fill in some of the shadows created by the eye bags. This filling in of the surrounding area can help create a rejuvenated eyelid area. This is especially beneficial in patients who have deep grooves along the portion of the eye closest to the nose (nasojugal grooves). Filling of this area can also help rejuvenate the eye. Injectable fillers are nice in that they can be done in the office with minimal discomfort and also often minimal down time. The other nice thing about under eye fillers is that they can provide a long-lasting result often lasting up to a year or more. The down side of fillers is that there is typically some swelling and some bruising and that they are temporary. In addition, because they do not directly address the fullness in the eyelid area, the rejuvenation typically is not quite as good as surgical treatment.
Nevertheless, for those not ready for surgery, who are tired of the baggy eye look, injectable fillers provide a great non-surgical option.

Indianapolis Facial Plastic Surgeon

A well-performed Injectable Filler treatment may reduce the appearance of your lower eyelid "bags".

+1

I read your concern:

In most people, the appearance of lower eyelid bags is exacerbated by the formation of grooves between your lower eyelid and cheek. Filling your lower eyelid grooves may lead to improvement in the appearance of your bags.

You should be sure your physician is experienced in the delicate art of filling eyelid grooves which may be an unforgiving area.

I hope this is helpful for you.

Regards from NJ.

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Eye bags from allergy

+1

You should see an allergist to get your allergies under control and then fillers like Restylane and Juvederm can be used to soften the leading edge of the bags, however...this is not a means of removing the bags only hiding them.  Eyelid Surgery is the only way to remove the eye bags.

Under eye bags

+1

Without a photo of your appearance there is no way to individually assess your needs.  However, as a general concept patients consider bags excess skin, muscle or fat.  Depending on the degree of prominence of any of these deficits skin tightening or fillers may treat or camouflage your problem.  Sometimes surgery is the answer, sometimes not (or can make things worse).  In your case a picture is really worth a thousand words.

Best

Dr. Massry

Guy Massry, MD

Non-surgical treatment of bags under eyes

+1

Without photos or a face to face examination it is impossible to say what your best option for treatment is. Changes in the bags from upward to downward gaze cannot be assessed from photos and is an important factor to consider when deciding on options for treatment. It is crucial that you get your allergies under control before treating the bags because the results from any procedure will be short lived if your allergies are not controlled.

Be very careful with some of the new non-invasive approaches. I have seen some asymmetric hard to impossible correct results after non-surgical radiofrequency destruction of fat in the lower eyelid bags.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship.

Aaron Stone, MD

Fillers like Restylane and Perlane are great for under-eye bags

+1

Most patients with bags under the eyes are good candidates for under eye fillers.  While this seems paradoxical, most puffiness is actually cause by depressions along the bony orbit.  Less commonly, individuals have fat bags protruding which may be treated with surgery.

David Mabrie, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Yes there are options.

+1

First it is essential that you actually get a personal consutlation because options are only meaningful if they address your needs.  Otherwise this is purely a hypothetical discussion.  Chemical peels and laser can be done to tight the lower eyelid skin and this can result in improvement of the lower eyelid bags.  For individuals with good lower eyelid skin, fillers have become a very popular method of improving the lower eyelid contours without the need of surgery.