Under-eye Bags and Darkness: Can it be Corrected?

I'm a skinny 26 year old male who is annoyed by what appears to be bags/darkness under my eyes. I'm not sure if those are technically bags or just outlines caused by my bone structure. Does this look like something that can be corrected?

Under eye bags

+2

Hello

So the photos are a bit dark to tell for sure.  However, I thunk there is a mild degree of prominent fat pad and slight depression below it. The depression nearest the nose (away from the outer corner of the eye) is called a nasojugal groove or commonly a tear trough.  There are a variety of reasons this develops as we mature and certainly it can be present in younger people like yourself. 

First let me emphasize you do not have surgery for this problem.  I think if you do you will enter into a path of potentially multiple procedures one trying to address the problems created by the previous procedure.

Second please consult with a few specialist to get a good opinion as to what the best non-invasive treatment options are.  I am sure you will hear that filler with a material such as Restylane is your best and safest option.  Some may suggest grafting your own fat with the suggestion of permanence.  I would stay away from this and proceed with filler.

Finally, make sure this bothers you enough to try even the filler. Remember this is also not without potential complications.  You are young which should not preempt treatment.  Just think long and hard about what you want to do.  Best o Luck

Dark bags underneath eyes

+1
The dark area underneath your eyes appear to be located more towards your nasal lower lid, as opposed to your lateral lower lid.  This area is called the "tear trough deformity" and is partially due to the very thin skin in this area.  The skin is so thin that the muscle underneath the skin casts a dark hue.  Based on your photo, which is quite dark, I think filler in this area is your best bet.  I have not had much success with creams over the years.  A tinted moisturizer or cover up can work well...even in men.

Steven J. Covici, MD
Springfield Oculoplastic Surgeon

+1

From your pictures it looks as if you're correct- the underlying bony structures are prominent.  To begin with you can try some fading creams and a little bit of injectable fillers (restylane, perlane, juvederm, radiesse, etc) to cover the bony prominence so it doesn't show through to the skin.  If these measures aren't satisfactory then you can think of surgical options.

Ramtin Kassir, MD,  NY/NJ Facial Plastic Surgeon

Ramtin Kassir, MD
Wayne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Not sure the darkness is caused by eyelid bags

+1

In these photos, it doesn't appear that your lower eyelids have significant bags...or excess fatty tissue.  While this can occur in teens and patients, in their early 20's who have a genetic predisposition to herniated eyelid fat bags...I'm not sure that's the issue in your particular case.  I can't tell if you have depressions in the tear trough area or on the cheek (malar bone) and suggest you consider having a couple consultations with plastic and cosmetic surgeons for evaluation and recommendations before having anything done.

Lower lid bags

+1

Your photos don't seem to show very marked bags, which are usually bulges of fat. Darkness can be caused by shadowing, pigmentation, or merely by the fact that the skin is very thin and shows the color of the muscle through it. I would suggest that you consider having fillers to improve the contour in this area first. You may find that solves the issue sufficiently.

Hugh McLean, MD
Mississauga Plastic Surgeon

This is midface ptosis with an associated dark circle.

+1

The best option for this type of issue is currently under eye filler with Restylane.  The treatment is non-surgical and a service often lasts about a year.  It is important that your potential injector be highly experienced in under eye service.  These treatments are actually a bit of an art.  This means that who does the injection really does make a big difference for how good an outcome you ultimately have from this type of service.