How Can Eye Bags Caused by a Fat Transfer Be Corrected Without Surgery? Its Been 2 Months Post Surgery (photo)

I got upper eyelid surgery,and a fat transfer done 2 months ago.I got the fat transfered under my eyes and cheekbones.since then i been under antibiotics 3 times,and steroids from the doctor.I have dark bags under each eye.i look older and wornout more now then ever.I have a uneven look to my face,and everyone thinks im sick with a cold or allergy.my purpose to this was to look revived.my doctor wants to add fat to hide or camouflage the puffy dark bags,not sure if that is the right direction.

Fat grafting to the eyelids can be great but also may have side effects

+2

After fat transfer to the eyelids for eyelid rejuvenation, it can take many months before  all the swelling goes away. If fullness or lumpiness remains after 6 months or more, then it may need to be surgically removed. A lot also depends on your surgeon's technique. They are still your best source for answers this early.

Lower blepharoplasty problem

+2

It is difficult to assess without examination.  Waiting can make things better.  There are also other injections besides steroid that can help with melting excess fat, if that is what the problem is.  Camouflaging may be another option. See an oculoplastic surgeon for evaluation.

Mehryar (Ray) Taban, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Too early for any intervention

+2

With fat grafting, as with most surgeries, the passage of time will help. There is still likely edema present that will resolve, as well as some fat that will atrophy [shrink] as time goes by. At this point massage may be the only therapy I would recommend.

A.J. Amadi, MD
Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon

How Can Eye Bags Caused by a Fat Transfer Be Corrected Without Surgery? Its Been 2 Months Post Surgery

+2

Appears as over injection of fat to all quardants of the lower lid. In my opinion only open surgery to remove the medial and laterally place fat is the better option. You can try drops of mesotherapy injected but this is a very SLOW process. 

Lower lid issues after fat transfer

+2

I think it is too early at this point to do anything to remove the fat. I think that you need to give it time to settle down.

Fat Transfer Complications

+2

At two months out it is to early to move forward with any type of revisional procedure, although I do understand your concerns completely.  I am not sure why you have been on multiple rounds of antibiotics because from what you describe there doesn't seem to be issues with infection.   The issues with "bags" and contour irregularities in the lower lids, in addition to darkening, can be due to improper placement (superficial placement) of the grafts.  Great care needs to be taken when performing fat grafting in this area because excellent results can be achieved, but many complications can also occur.  I suggest waiting to allow more time to see if any of the fat reabsorbs prior to undergoing more surgery.  Warm compresses and gentle massage in the area can also help.  Good Luck

Anthony Corrado, DO
Philadelphia Facial Plastic Surgeon

Puffy eyes after fat transfers

+2
With careful grafting lower lids will do very well with fat transfers. Hard to say but perhaps your grafts were placed too superficially. The antibiotics and steriods probably are not going to help, but more time will. Ice and night and gentle massage with aquaphor are a better approach.

Agree that more time to heal is very helpful

+2

Ultimately if the swelling does not resolve to your satisfaction, then surgery to remove the grafts is often the best option.  Steroid injections to shrink the fat can also damage the natural fat.  This then makes a dent.

Fat graft complication

+2
I am sorry to hear about your problem. First, it is important to give this several more months to heal and not to rush into an attempt at revision precipitously. If you have had multiple rounds of antibiotics, then your healing curve has been delayed. Wait to see if the fat will be re-absorbed before making a decision.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Bags under the eyes created by fat transfer probably will require surgical excision.

+2

At two months there is a good chance that the fat graft will resorb as time passes. If this does not happen, the graft might need to be surgically removed.