Eye Bag Swelling After Lower Conjunctival Bleph?

I am 9 days post lower conj bleph. Feel like eye bags still very present. Hard to imagine them changing, as they now look tiered. I also had a tca peel that was supposed to remove extra skin. The peel is finished, but I very unhappy with my initial results. The doctor tells me to wait , but it I'd very hard to imagine s drastic transformation. What should be expected at this stage?

What can my expectations be following a lower blepharoplasty?

+3

Transconj lower blephs with fat removal is the most common type of lower blepharoplasty performed.  It is usually performed along with a skin pich removal.  Swelling at this point is to be expected, but one should continue to see improvement as well at this point almost on a daily basis.  The goal of lower blepharoplasty is to achieve a flat lower eyelid with a nice smooth transition from the lower eyelid to the cheek.  That is how our eyelid subunit is in youth.  Occasionally there may be persistent fat that could require a revision surgery.  The general rule of thumb is to wait about a year.  It is also usually necessary to remove skin to get rid of the excess skin in an aging lower eyelid.  I do not believe that TCA peels tighten skin adaquately by itself.

Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lower eyelid transconjunctival blepharoplasty

+2

Lower eyelid blepharoplasty like all surgical procedures results in increased swelling during the immediate post-op period (usually the first 48-72 hours).

It is not uncommon to experience varying degrees of post-op swelling for several weeks but the swelling should be decreasing.

Patience is a must. Give it time and consult with your surgeon.

Rand Rodgers, MD
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Time is the Answer

+2

Time will reveal your results.  Eyelid surgery tends to hold on to swelling longer than most other areas.

Dr. ES

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

Patience is essential

+2

To be quite honest, at this point it is quite difficult to make an accurate assessment on whether or not surgery is successful. And even then, if we decide that the surgery was inadequate, it is not advisable to operate so early.

Your tissues are still swollen, and scarring should be allowed to soften for at least 6 months before secondary surgery is decided upon. Operating too early can cloud the surgical decision making process, and make scarring more exuberant.

Be patient. At 3 months time, you and your surgeon can better assess success, and then if unsatisfied, schedule revision surgery for a couple months later.

A.J. Amadi, MD
Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon

9 days after blepharoplasty and peel

+2

At nine days after a blepharoplasty you are maximally swollen. GIve it time to heal before getting too concerned.

10 days after TCA peel and Lower Transconj Bleph

+2

I would not make any decisions at this point, because the trauma from these two procedures may be causing a great deal of swelling.  In addition, the TCA peel results will takes weeks or months to realize.

Transconjunctival Blepharolplasty: What to Expect after Surgery

+2

Some swelling is expected for a number of weeks after this procedure.  Swelling is based on how much dissection was required to remove your excess fat bags, how you tend to swell, and some other factors.  In addition, you had a chemical peel at the same time which increases swelling.  In the future, if some skin tightening needs to be done, a small amount of skin can be removed quite easily under local anesthesia.  At this point, I would wait and heal completely to see the results.  Also follow your healing closely with your doctor.  Best wishes!

Stephen Bresnick, MD